Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've shared this a little in the Utah board, but I've been asked a few questions, so I thought I'd share it here. This is the winch bumper I built to hold my MM12k winch.

I started with 3/8" side plates mounted to the frame with four 9/16" grade 8 boltes per side. The top plate is 3/8", there is a 1.5" square 11GA support welded across the rear, and the 1.75" 11GA round tubing supports it across the front.

The braces and the stinger are also made out of 1.75" round 11GA tubing. The fairlead mounting plate is milled from 1/4" plate. Another square tube brace was welded between the side plates and a simple 11GA skid plate was added. The corners are cut so that I have a pocket for Hi-lift jack to sit w/o sliding out. Then I powder coated the whole thing a metallic silver color.

And a final shot that I got from PJTPW. The ends of the main tube were cut even with the edges of the wheel openings under the fenders. Also tow hooks were mounted to the 3/8" side plates.

I designed the bumper to keep the winch and the rest of the bumper high and tight to the body. This was to maximize approach clearance on the rocks and it seems to have worked out great.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Nice bumper setup. Do you have problems running cool with it up and in front of your grill like that (blocking airflow)?

Bob

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks.

This is a trail only rig, I keep it street legal only to make getting to and from the trails easy. I'm not real concerned about highway cooling, on the trail, the low speeds mean that the bumper and winch really won't be blocking any air flow. However, I doubt it would make much difference in cooling. But I have only had the chance to run it around town in the rain and cold, then one trail on a very cool day. Cooling was fine.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
That's a sweet bumper it really complimnts the lines on your RC.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
That is nice Trenton, what type of bender did you use to bend the tubing?
A split die bender, aka: muffler bender

·
Registered
810 Posts
Awesome bumper on an awesome truck! I love to see people making their own stuff like this.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
67MIke said:
what kind of tube is that? Size thickness etc., if a body was buying what would he ask for? Thanks Mike
That is HREW tubing (not pipe), 1.75" diameter, 11 GA (0.120" wall).

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
tv_larsen said:
RCC_SaMiaM said:
That is nice Trenton, what type of bender did you use to bend the tubing?
A split die bender, aka: muffler bender
Using that muffler bender did it leave any creass or crushed areas? I know bending pipe on those types of benders does, but I figure since tubing is better for bending, it wouldn't.

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
Using that muffler bender did it leave any creass or crushed areas? I know bending pipe on those types of benders does, but I figure since tubing is better for bending, it wouldn't.
Actually most benders crush the tubing somewhat, this bender probably crushed it a little more than most, but it's not really that bad, and just fine for a bumper too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
hey, just a quick thought/questions...did u make plans when you built this bumper or did u do it from scratch?  I want to build a bumper like that for my power wagon, but i don't need the winch mount.  If you do have plans could you email them to me or something?  I'd greatly appreciate it!  thanks in advance

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.