Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
you were asking how the taillight covers looked if you want you can look for your self i just posted pics of my truck with taillight covers on.

Dave

·
Registered
269 Posts
so how do you like your jet chip. Have you noticed a significant difference?

·
Registered
269 Posts
so which gave you the most noticable power gain the jet chip or the headers OR the Jet chip or the headers and dual exhaust?

I already have headers and a 3" mandrel bent exhaust (not cat back). It is 3" to the headers with a High flow cat and muffler. I just wonder how much power gain I will get from a jet chip.
Did you put the lower temp thermostat in like they recomend with the stages 2 chip?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Where did you get a jet chip that will work with the older dodges? Mine is an 88, tbi, electronically controlled, so I would think that one would work in it, but I can only find one for a dodge from 96-up. Thanks....

Randall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Which part # was it. Again, I only see for 96-up dodges.

Randall

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
randall, jet offers one module for 89...I just checked their website. they don't list anything for 88, only 89, what makes me wonder, what the difference is between the 88 and 89 318 tbi....

anyway, part number for 318 (5.2L) auto tranny at jet are as follows:
Stage 1 #98907 ($309.95)
Stage 2 #98907S ($319.95)

and finally the link:
http://www.jetchip.com/

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
okay I went to their site and found the # 99107 chip
for a 91 318 auto. is it worth the money?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok, all the stuff you guys are finding are the control modules. The things that you yourself have to calibrate. What I am wanting is just the stage 1 or 2 chip. Just the chip. You pop it in and that's it. That is what swwaltw has, and what I am trying to find out where it's available at.

Randall

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
swwaltw said:
the thing is JETCHIP is a company name they sell modules
wich is really just a thing that you put in between the wiring harness and the stock ECU the chip is connected to the the thing taht goes in between the between the wiring harness and the ECU there for making a modules
Uhm...what?? can someone explain this to me in plain english please? german would be perfect ;D...sorry I got lost somewhere between the "in between the between"....between that as.....uhm....was that clear enough now?

So the Stage 1 or 2 module goes in between the ECU (which is the computer in efi engines?) and the wiring harness. I guess I got it right till this point....but where does than the chip go, you're talking about? I thought the module has the chip in it? Or is there a replacement chip for in the ECU....or do you simply pin a chip somewhere to the engine pay, pray, spit 3 times over your shoulder, throw a penny in a fountain and light up some candles and it works?

sorry, might sound stupid, but I really would like to know how this stuff works....can't be all magic

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
dodge88 said:
Ok, all the stuff you guys are finding are the control modules. The things that you yourself have to calibrate. What I am wanting is just the stage 1 or 2 chip. Just the chip. You pop it in and that's it. That is what swwaltw has, and what I am trying to find out where it's available at.

Randall
so if I'm reading it right, the chip (alone) isn't available, but the Jetchip module plugs in (externally) to the SMEC?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yeah 91, that appears to be the idea. I emailed jetchip and asked them if the 89 chip would work with my 88, cause I believe it's the same SMEC as the 89's. I think...it shoudl work. If they say it won't, I might get one and see for myself ;D

Randall

·
Registered
5,423 Posts
cool, thanks for the explanation....I've never seen a "standalone" chip before, only the module....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, my reply was short and sweet: "No, they wouldn't" as referring to my question of "Would the models for the 89 dodge 5.2 litre work on my 88 5.2 litre? Being that I believe they are pretty much the same engine. I doubt they changed anything on them. So I replied back with a short, sweet rebuttal: "Why not?" ;D I'm waiting for a reply ;D

Randall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me. Just shoot me an email or call me at work: 945-2800. Ask for 103.

Randall

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok everyone. I finally got a chance to see (and actually drive!) this truck. I'm not the biggest fan of lowering trucks and all, but I will tell ya this one has potential. It looks sweet as it is right now, and runs even sweeter. We did do the module switch, and I drove mine around the parking lot (was technically at work, so I couldn't leave the premises). From what I could tell, there was some difference in it. Someday I hope we can meet again and switch em, and take mine out on the highway. I just wish mine had the throttle response his does!! Nice truck shannon!

Randall

·
Registered
568 Posts
sorry to hear about your AIM experience. I didn't check the boards for a while and didn't see the post that your were going to order them. If I did I would've warned you about AIM. Not the most reputable company in my eyes.

The truck's looking badass though! I LOVE IT!

keep the pics and progress reports comming.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts