Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok long story short a few months ago. my baby.. my 97 ram got "stolen" called the cops, truck got found the next day.... was gone less then 24 hours....(I was lucky got 3 broken windows) anyway back to keeping this short. turns out the guy who had/has the truck bought it for someone......(has receipt, not legal because I own the truck outright).... anyway. guy say's sorry he will give the truck back.. but seeing as how I'm out of state I can't get it for a week "no big deal I'll keep it in my driveway where it will be safe"... before I go to pickup truck I call to make sure he's home.... no luck...two weeks later he answers the phone.... say's I'm keeping the truck... cops say I can sue but it was deemed a civil matter so they can't do anything any more........ but I can sue him.... or just show up and get the truck...that's a 4+ hour drive one way... and he said he parked his truck behind mine so I can't just pull up and drive it off... now my truck is a mostly trail rig truck I haven't driven it in a year due to life and the guy who "bought" it says he toke the power steering pump off but it's still in the truck.. so truck won't run or I would just go up and drive over his truck and onto my trailer..... so my questions  are what limits do I have? time? $$$ amount what's my best path to take to get my truck back? (I have $68,000 invested in this truck, ya he bought it for $500) I even offered to pay him back (not legally required to). where do I take him to court? his state or mine? truck was stolen and is still in his state.

TRUCK SPEC'S
97 dodge Ram 1500 4X4 360/auto slt larime, short bed
ported and polished intake manifold
heavy duty tranny over haul 2 years ago.
Full msd 6a system including blaster 2 coil
5" lift
d44 frount 3.55 gears open diff. (second one)
9.25 rear 3.55 gears open diff. (second one)
extreme drop pitman arm
18" travel nitrogen shocks
36" swamper sxt's
thefastman.com trotted body
custom front bumper w/ receiver
custom rear receiver
1 off white face gauges
custom graphics
cobra cb w/road king mic peaked and tuned
stage 3 turbo kit for motor not installed (includes intercooler)
K&N gen 3 intake
rear diff. guard (thnx to dodgeman on here)
magna flow exhaust
clarion head unit
1000 watt sony amp
12 alpine type r12 sub in custom box.
sony 6X9 and 4.25
bedliner on all rocker panels and wheel wells
cut rear fenders
plus full set of spare rear and front axle shafts (all 4 including unit bearing on front)
dual electric fan system (not installed)

LOTS LOTS more.... also lots of new parts like track bar power steering system. I spare no limits with my trucks.

kelly blue book say's the truck worth $4,600.. doesn't take in any of the above

anyway I'm looking for true legal advice please no net lawyers......right now I don't have the money to go see a local lawyer due to being out ofwork for the last 6 months with my cancer treatment. anyway enough reading for now. thnx for reading and thnx in advance for the info/ link... I haven't done anything but try talking to the guy yet. not even take out ads in his local paper calling him out like I want to.....

Scott

edit: I forgot to ad no ins. on the truck due to it being moved to a trail only rig... (I have 2 other 97 rams)

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes 68 thousand (paid 21thousand plus 4 years of interest to start with)... I have owned the truck for 10 years.... lots of time and it was my dream truck. I'm not afraid to spend money on my dreams and on the best..... plus this is the only think I got to keep in my divorce...O ya

the truck also had  hd cross over steering.

Scott

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
i say hire a nice tow truck and yank his shit into the street in park and get ur truck back ...screw being nice  ;D

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
hold on a second u got the title to the truck ? if so all u need to have to get it back ...he has no way of showing legal ownership with out it ...unless he has the title to it ...like u left it in the glovebox by some odd chance and he transferred it into his name u are shit out of luck then

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the title in hand.. problem is no tow com[pany will touch his truck to get mine.... at first I was going to use my new 2500 4X4 cummins ram to pull his truck sideways (hoping to flip it over). But I'm trying to do this the legal way cops say they can't do anything city or state...

Scott

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
How can the cops not do anything?

"Hello Officer. Yes, this man stole my truck. Yes, I've got the title right here. No, I don't know him".

G

·
I would pull the drive shafts out of his truck and let it roll down the street then say I don't know what you are talking about.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Scott,

What state is the truck in now?  What state is your title from?  Was there any insurance involved?

I think any law suit should be entered in your location.  Force him to come to you for court.  Depending on states, this could be a problem.

The truck being in his driveway may be a civil matter, but the illegal sale of the vehicle is fraud.  The amount of money is so low they are going to be slow to worry about it.  The guy obviously knew the truck was stolen because it is obvious that the truck was worth far more than $500.

You might be able to file a lien on his property or vehicles.  You would need an attorney to answer that question.

Let me think about this some.  Can you tell us what city the truck is in now?

Ron

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
gmule said:
Actually the guy who has it should be charged with theft.
Receiving stolen goods. {yes}

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hybrid 1ton said:
How can the cops not do anything?

"Hello Officer. Yes, this man stole my truck. Yes, I've got the title right here. No, I don't know him".
the reason is because he has a receipt... da says it's a civil matter thus the cops can't do anything..

as far a my next step if the legal thing doesn't work or isn't fast enough may take steps but trying to do it the right way first.... after I get my truck back I'll still put ad's in the paper was thinking about something along the line of

Shannon C. Of Idabel OK. I Want my Lifted black dodge ram back you obtained it illegally.

I honestly don't want to touch his truck. I'm not going to lower myself to his level...

The cops said they could charge him with receiving stolen goods but it wouldn't get my truck to me... I'm still thinking about just going up there and raising cain till the cops show up and make him give it back.

No ins. involved truck hasn't been on the road in over a year pulled it when I got another dd going to make it a full time trail rig.

I'm not that calm. it's been a month now. so I'm more stable to talk without emotion

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Missed the part about no insurance.  If a lien against his property(ies) can be filed.  That should be done.  Tie up anything that he has.  Affect his credit rating.

We have some cops on RCC.  Let's ask them if you are getting the true legal info.  The dude may be related to local cops.

G

·
Where is this at I want to write myself a receipt and then go claim me a new ride. I think someone is blowing smoke up your skirt. Have your sheriff call the other sheriff and let them share notes.
A receipt is not a title or ownership.

·
Premium Member
3,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no the cop tried pushing him. he's a friend of mine and a few other wheelin buddies. I have talked with more then 10 cops on this both state and city.... trucks in Idabel OKlahoma.

Scott

thnx for the info so far.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Having worked insurance claims in southern Oklahoma, it's almost a sure thing that he is related to somebody in the system.

I'll talk to some insurance guys I know there that will be more up on the current laws and procedures.  Southern Oklahoma is almost like a whole nother country.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Is he in TN? I'll drag his truck down the street! If you can get a trailer and have it behind another truck, I'lll pull it up on it for you ;D Oh yeah, I prefer to work about 2am since few are up then.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts