Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried to pull the engine today, but we couldn't get it off the transmission (manual), we used a bobcat and lifted from the manifold but we lifted and tried to pull and well it looked like this ^ which i can't imagine was very good. But right now i could care less about the transmission I just want my engine out. It is bolted back up to transmission just fine and its back on the mounts so im hoping we didnt mess anything on the engine up? Any help would be greatly appreaciated.

·
Registered
769 Posts
It was a very frustrating time...Is there anything besides the bellhousing bolts and the flex plate boltd holding them together?

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I haven't pulled a 4 speed out in years, but the only thing I can think of is the flywheel or the fork/throwout bearing? Just a stab in the dark....can't remember; sorry.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Well, yeah, the input shaft for the tranny sticks through the clutch plate into the back of the crankshaft, so you have to slide either the tranny or the engine horizontally apart several inches before lifting the engine,. to get the input shaft disengaged. When you angled it you were stressing the centerweb of the clutch disk... may or may not have really damaged it.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Had trouble pulling the motor out of my 82 rc this summer. Finally had to undo the bolts on the pressure plate to get it to come apart. Still had to pry like crazy to get it apart. Turns out the bronze pilot shaft bearing in the back of the crank was galled because of the previous owners lack of lube upon install. Put a floor jack under the front of tranny and try to keep it parallel with the engine till you get the motor mounts to clear and pry evenly as possible on both sides and it should eventually pop free.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After some crafty use of a crowbar I got it out. Surprisingly enough nothing looks bent or broken. I definetly couldn't of done that without having the whole front end apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts