Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, 

I have a high mile 86 W150 that has a trany prob. When I lay on the loud pedal I can hear the trans( I think) squealing/screeching right b4 it wants to shift to 2nd or 3rd at say 4000-4500. Idk if its burnt clutches/bands or if the bands just need adjusting.

Idk what slipping clutches sound like or if they even make a sound but its the only thing I can fathom. You can tell by the butt dyno that its not pulling any harder after 4000k but it screeches from 3,500-4,500 and actually sounds similar to belt squeal but not as loud. I can quickly rev it to 4000k in park and the belts dont slip nor does the power steering when peaked left or right at idle.  Any ideas as to what might be my issue?

PS... I have the kickdown set so its in 3 by 35-40mph, depends on how heavy you are on the throttle. If you drive like the senial elderly it wont shift till about 38-40, but if you get up to 30 quickly and back off the throttle gracefully at about 35 it'll shift and not clunk, if done properly.

Any help would be great, My problem might be the kickdown is to stiff but its so touchy and I hate lazy shifts, so this is were I left it.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Screeching is metal to metal contact, be it bands on the drums or clutch discs on steels.  Either way you are looking at a complete rebuild.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already intended to rebuild it b4 I stroke and poke my 360 to a 408 but is there anything I can do, like band adjustment? Is there a good chance that my drum (if thats what it is) is scrap metal now that its at the point of screeching? Does anyone have a process of elimination I could fallow to guide me to my problem. For example: I know the 1st/rev drum is only applied if 1st is selected manually correct? The forward drum is applied between shifts 2 to 3rd right? Wouldn't my clutches wear out b4 my bands or do they wear hand in hand? Or does it all depend on maintenance and driving habits?

Thanks for the input Elwenil....

No one else can help me on this??? Then again I have to understand, it isn't very common for MoPars to show weakness's and that this topic is unheard of.... I understand {offtopic}.... lol. Seriously though, no one has herd of this or experienced the same or similar problem?

Let me ask this than, what speed do you guys like to shift to 3rd? Whats the stiffest I can run on my kickdown (mph for 3rd shft) b4 the bands start to override/bind with each other?

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
just to get the belts out of the possiblity take off the belts and do a quick test down the road. and if it is the bands screeching from metal on metal,  you are past adjustment and in NEED of a full rebuild.

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Check out your fan clutch - grab edge of fan blades and wiggle back and forth, should be no play or very little at shaft.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Kickdown adjustment is when the throttle is all the way back (engine off) the kickdown lever on the tranny is all the way back.  Don't adjust for shift speed, that will blow the tranny.

·
Registered
292 Posts
drop the pan... see if its full of crud... or pull the stick does the fluid "sparkle" if so ur trans is borked...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts