Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 1991and a half Dodge Ram w250 with the cummins intercooled engine. My getrag 5spd is going out. What are the alternatives to this transmission. I want to stay 5spd.but dont want to go back with the getrag. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
The NV4500 is the only way to go. they make conversions for it. Just do a search online and I know you will come up with stuff. Also do a search on this site for it because Gun Pilot just did the conversion and has a thread in the tech section I believe. He list who he got his stuff through.

·
Registered
145 Posts
you will find a lot of information at
www.turbodieselregister.com

as far as the getrag i have 110,000 miles on mine
in a 93 4*4 250 from what i was told oil is the biggest issue
i added the manual transmission filter to increase it a bit
and they say to over fill it by 1/2 quart ( filling through
the top p.t.o. cover bolt hole) some have gotten 300,000
plus miles out of it and counting

the rest comes down to money myself when it needs it
i will rebuild it or have it rebuilt

hope this helps

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Yea for 5 speed the NV4500 is all that is out there. You could go 6 speed if you can find a NV5600. But good luck either way, cuz it ain't going to be cheap.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Also Cruising Ram replaced his getrag awhile back i think he rebuilt it himself i think . might wanna ask him if you are ognna rebuild it .

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
If you are going to rebuild your getrash, make sure you overfill it like already mentioned. Also, get a cooler and magnetic filter if you can, might help the tranny last.

BTW, I believe they had like a 150,000 mile life expentacy, or something like that, I had almost reached 150,000 when the getrag I had in the 93 I sold GP was starting to act up. If you don't tow anything, maybe it could last you 300,000 miles, but a NV4500 is really the way to go.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I got the truck the previous owner gave it hell always grabbing gears in it. Although it dont grind the bearings will roar if you go on a trip more than 10 miles. I changed the gear oil in the trans about a week after I got it and the trans was full of tiny metal shavings. I went ahead and changed the oil and overfilled it like mentioned above. Everytime I take a trip in it the roar gets worse so I will eventually had to take it down. I plan on taking the transmission out next week to see if its rebuildable because I found a set of bearings for $200 and the kit with the new nv4500 is going to be high.

·
Registered
145 Posts
i realy do recomend adding the manual trans filter!
as i said i am running on my transfer cases and trans.

and you can find some good rebuild tips at
turbodieselregister.com
under 1st gen
but i think you must be paid member to use the search
so you will have to weed through the post
bob

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok my dad said he got the transmission out he said he cant get the some of the shafts out. Does anyone know of site or how to that shows how to take it apart so I can tell him how:?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts