Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The NP-203 in my '77 Power Wagon is jacked.
It was leaking oil/vibrating because of the front out put bearing/seal. I replaced them and it was fine for a couple days, but now it's back to it's old habits.

Is there something I missed? The yoke had grooves worn into it from the seal but they didn't look to terribly bad, and I figured it would be OK. Shold I try replacing the Yoke? I'm boke, so I hope it was just something little I missed.

Thanks,
-Steve C.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Did the vibration go away then come back too? Don't have any advice 'bout that one, but as faras the grooved yoke, that's the most likely reason for the leak. A good polish w/ crocus (sp?) cloth could maybe spare it. Was the groove deep enough to catch your fingernail?

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
The seal isn't gona cause a vibration. Groove or not.

Have you tried driving it with no front d/s, and in hi loc to see if it is maybe the cv joint in the front d/s? They have a habit of going bad and giving you the same problem you have. It isn't always apparent it is bad unless you take the d/s out and cycle the cv joint by hand. The centering ball can go bad and cause all sorts of problems.

It may be the chain or front output bearing also, especially if the old seal was leaking bad enough to let dirt/water in.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TheRamChargerMan said:
The seal isn't gona cause a vibration. Groove or not.

Have you tried driving it with no front d/s, and in hi loc to see if it is maybe the cv joint in the front d/s? They have a habit of going bad and giving you the same problem you have. It isn't always apparent it is bad unless you take the d/s out and cycle the cv joint by hand. The centering ball can go bad and cause all sorts of problems.

It may be the chain or front output bearing also, especially if the old seal was leaking bad enough to let dirt/water in.
It's got a new out put bearing and front d/s. I'm hoping it's not the chain.
-Steve C.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chump said:
You can repair the groove in the yoke by using a speedi-sleeve or redi-sleeve. Go to one of your bigger auto parts stores and ask them for the sleeve.

Any idea on price? I knew Napa sold them, but I thought I could get by w/ out it. Guess not.
Thanks,
-Steve C.

·
7,995 Posts
TheRamChargerMan said:
I was gonna suggest that, but wasn't sure if they offered them for the tcase output shaft seals. I have used them for pinion yoke seals tho.
They make them for just about anything and you can also croos over a shaft size to one if you have something special thats not listed to a specific vehicle. Here's some more info...

Speedi-Sleeve is a fast and effective way to refinish a seal-worn shaft. It's quicker than remetalizing or regrinding, and it can also produce better results. The outside surface of a Speedi-Sleeve forms an ideal sealing surface. Many popular regrinding and refinishing techniques produce a surface which cannot be properly sealed.
The standard range of Speedi-Sleeve sizes covers shaft diameters from .5" to 8" (12mm to 200mm). Speedi-Sleeves are engineered from the finest AISI 304 stainless steel and have a hardness of approximately Rockwell B95. The surface is factory finished to Ra 10 to 20 micro inches (.25 to .5 micrometers) with no machine lead, so expensive machining or preparation is not required before mounting.

While installation is simple, it must be done with care in order to assure proper results. An installation tool that makes it easy to start the sleeve squarely on the shaft is packaged with every sleeve.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have a sleeve on my harm. balancer, but didn't realize one was available for so many other things as well. Good show Chumpster....as always. You sure are a great asset to RCC!
Mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts