Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 585 Posts

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He ended up trashing the very old, rusted up solid original running gear/ frame, in favor of a '75 Power Wagon more up to date stuff (at least something workable). Here he's mocking it up to the newer frame. And you can see the new firewall he made for it...

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the original '75 frame didn't last long...He didn't like the way the '75 frame looked with the dip under the cab. So he cut and put in some straight channel to simulate the original '41 frame. And you can see here the tires and wheels he's going to run.

The tires are 37's. Almost the same height as the stock military ones. He's also trashing the full time case for a much stronger NP205. Along with an axle replacements.

He sold his '73 Dart Sport he built, to some guy in Finland to finance the new running gear...

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the rear end mocked up. It's a big (9.125") Ford, 4.56 ring & pinion and a Detroit Locker/ disc brake set up.

When he's finished, it will have a olive drab paint job with all the correct military markings and will be able to go down the freeway at 75 mph.
You can see the 205 sitting mocked up in the back ground.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, as we all know, when you build something from scratch, there is a process of fitting and refitting.
He ended up redoing the entire front 3/4 of the frame.

This process of re-fabbing and re-shaping has been going on for a few years now.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
{cool}  I see the apple does not fall far from the tree. Glad to see another proud papa passing the Mopar love down to the son. I have been patiently waiting for you to start this thread. Looks like it's heading in the right direction.

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
After a little deliberation, my son said forget the small block. So he "borrowed" my old stroker (135,000 miles plus) to mock up and use for a while until he builds his own.
Here's some pics of him squeezing it in.

He wanted to weight the front end to determine the correct spring pad location, engine height and mounting.
Mucho trial and error continues...

·
Premium Member
13,605 Posts
oh very cool! {cool}.  Gotta like resurrecting an old classic truck with some newer driveline.  Lookin' real good - though I think there might be a slight vacuum leak at the intake  ;D

If I ever did an old M-37 or similar truck I'd definitely look at dropping in either a slant-6 or a 4.0 liter Jeep engine with an od A-833 4-speed and a divorced t-case  :D

- Sam 

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mad Max said:
oh very cool! {cool}. Gotta like resurrecting an old classic truck with some newer driveline. Lookin' real good - though I think there might be a slight vacuum leak at the intake ;D

I've long wondered what an old truck like that would run like with either a slant-6 or a 4.0 liter Jeep engine :D

- Sam
No doubt.
As you know, mocking up stuff like this takes forever.
And that's why when you pay for an "expert" to do this fabbing... it cost a fortune.
I'm thankful he has the skills and the patience to do this kind of tinkering.
We all know most of us certainly don't have the money for it.

He is already becoming a minor "legend"... and word is spreading of his fabbing skills.
People want him to work on their cars and trucks all the time.
Until he tells them how much things will cost them.

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
{popcorn}

·
Premium Member
6,811 Posts
does that rear mount bind into the frame when flexing?  just looks a little awkward

·
Registered
7,566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mike Barf said:
does that rear mount bind into the frame when flexing? just looks a little awkward
Well, it isn't running yet.
I'm sure there will be many bugs to work out when it finally does go down the road.
I think he will be able to figure it out.
He's adding a block brace in between the two shackles after soon. ;D

1 - 20 of 585 Posts