Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a bunch of swapping/selling this week and ended up getting an 84 RC.  Its a Royal SE Prospector, 318 (I think), 4in lift, and my old LTBs.  I traded my Honda CRX that was supposed to be my work car for the RC.  I had about $1500 into the car total and think that I got a good deal.  The other half of my trading/selling was selling off the '79 W150.  I kept the tires and some other small parts and made an easy $600.  I figured that the tires were the only valuable thing and any money I got out of it was fine by me.

So far it runs really decent and rides ok.  I do need to add a steering stabilizer soon and reconnect the sway bar with new extended end links.  The RC will see mostly pavement with some mild snow wheeling mixed in, I just can't afford to break it...

Pics in a little while...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are a few pics

Just a little rust on the lower edge, none on the floor at all

Yes, the wheels are rusty, I don't know if I am going to "restore" them with some paint or just hold out until I can find something better...I do kind of like them.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
{cool}

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I love it so far.  I've got a couple small projects that need done but it probably won't happen until spring.  First is to fix the power window motor on the passenger side, it runs but sounds stripped and I plan on doing the fix in the How To section.  Also its in need of some rust repair and trim removal.  I'm going to junk the lower trim since its missing pieces and not in the best of shape. When the rust is gone I plan to use roll-on bedliner up to the chrome trim (covering the blue and the lower silver portions) and to leave the top/hood the silver color.  Other than that I plan on fixing a few wires here and there and enjoying it.

Only other thing that I should do is build a new front bumper.  I don't mind the cut stock bumper but I would like to make sure that its in legal height limits and I plan to keep this RC.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No replacement fenders at this time.  I don't have the marker lights and the cut is done well at the front.  The driver's side is dented but it can be straightened and they are both fairly rust free as well.  I believe a small patch on the passenger fender is all it really needs.  It obviously isn't necessary to have cut fenders with only 33s and that much lift but at least I won't be rubbing or otherwise messing them up no matter how much I would flex it.  I'm planning to do as little work on it as I can while still making it as solid as possible.

I am amazed at how clean it is on the underside, I don't believe it spent much time here in Minnesota.

·
Registered
962 Posts
she looks mean i like the stance of it bad ass. and in my opinion id get other rims i dont think they suit the truck when i see those rims i think of like a low rider s 10. i seen quite a few in my area with that style rim. get the black cragar ones they would look sweet.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree about the wheels, although I think they look a lot better now than when they had ATs on them.  I'm watching the local ads for a set of wheels, pretty low priority for now though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
ya for sure man. get her runnin tits and shit first i think the reliability and runability is much more important

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm slowly making small improvements here and there, mostly on the interior.  I added a cup holder like the one in the How To section.  I'll get a picture in a little bit.  Hopefully this week I'll get to the headliner before it sags any more.  Then I need to find a couple pieces of trim to replace broken/missing pieces.

I also took some steel wool to the passenger side wheels hoping to remove as much of the nasty rust as I could.  I made progress but ran out of time and energy...that was a lot of scrubbing!  I think the plan is to paint the wheels for now, they couldn't be too much worse.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a couple of pics of my improvements made so far.

First is the cupholder, I didn't have to add a spacer on the bottom to clear the console like the How To stated, maybe they changed the cupholder some? I got it at Autozone just like the How To said, basically I added longer screws than it came with and just screwed it down. Its solid enough and adjusts just as it should despite not spacing it up higher.

Here you can see my storage box, I had used it in my truck previously and it fits perfectly between the wheel wells. I didn't bolt the box down since I want it removable but I did use a simple tie down strap to keep it from sliding around. I ran the strap through part of the rear seat latch assembly and hooked the ends to the handles on the box. I did add some foam strips to the bottom of the box to keep it from rattling.

Also in the last pic are my 6x9 boxes. I had them from my long gone 89 D150 and they are basically brand new. They sounded great until the old cd player that came with the RC died. Thats on my list for this week too, probably just a cheap used one from a co-worker.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
i like that speaker location. id like it better if they were covered in red to match but thats not a big deal. it my first RC that my parents still have. i got rid of the like on the rear panels n the ashtray behind the front seats. an we made a big squar bracket out of aluminum plate an we could bolt 6x9s in the panels. an just cut the side covers for the speakers to fit. makes for what looks like a factory location. ill see if i can dig up a picture.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The rear speaker location is just a case of using what I had and making it work as easy as possible.  The boxes sit nicely between the seat back and the trim panels, just snug enough to stay put but not forced in there. 

I managed to get the cd player working again...that was nice, one less thing to spend money on.  Its not a great unit but it does sound pretty good.  I must have had a bad connection, I know I popped the fuse when I fixed a connection.  Now I just need a box of fuses so I can replaced the blower/ac controls since I borrowed that fuse for now. 

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I painted my wheels today. I had spent a lot of time on the passenger side wheels removing as much rust as possible, not so much on the drivers side. The passenger side wheels were the worst as far as the rust went. I think they came out pretty well, its just Rustoleum Hammered Silver rattle can...

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
{cool}

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
One of these days I'd like to use the same paint on my auxillary lights. As you can see from the previous pictures, the housings on the lights are getting rusted.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.