Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay everyone on this sight gets a huge thank you. My girlfriends parents had a 76 Trailduster that hadn't ran in 3 years, and they basically gave it to me. Tried to start it and nothing, no power at all. Put in a battery, still nothing. I came on here and undid the amp meter and connected it and turned over first try. My problem is that I put on a new fuel pump, filter, and hoses to the carb but I think the fuel line is plugged. Reading all of the posts I found many things it may be. So is it a fuel line plugged, sending unit, or plugged tank? Where should I start? Thanks again to everyone!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not getting any fuel up to the carb. If I hook a hose to the pump and pump it out of a gas can it will run, but hooked up to the fuel line and I get nothing. So it is somewhere behind the fuel pump. I tried to blow out the line but it isnt working. Someone mentioned a sending unit, but I dont know anything about that

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Since you are dropping the tank, pull the float and pickup tube, and replace the in-tank sock filter. It is probably full of rust/crud. If it is, you should drain the tank, and flush it out. Especially if you hear lots of "stuff" sliding around in the bottom of the tank once it is empty.

See if you can blow the pickup tube as well. If the filter disentigrated in the tank it or the fuel line to the pump could be plugged.

-SM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay guys here is the update from my new project. I dropped the gas tank last night which was super easy (after I had to torch for rusty bolts that held on a home made hitch) I took out the fuel sensor unit and the sock thing on it was completly rusted and the pickup tube was completly plugged. The tube was all varnished and sticky from the old fuel sitting in it. My question is do I need to put a new filter on the end of that unit or bypass all of that and put an inline fuel filter in instead?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
You need the in tank sock filter, or the pickup tube will (eventually) become plugged again. You should still run an in-line filter too. ;)

-SM

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
I think I would get a new pickup, and maybe even a new (plastic) tank...if the pickup was rotted away, the tank is probably not in much better shape. :(

-SM

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Acutally it has a new (two years old) plastic tank. They left about a 1/4 tank of gas in it and never really ran it. I pressurized the tank and it is good. I guess I could get a new pickup tube once I found out everything else is running. I dont want to buy a new pickup tube to find out the engine is crappy

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
even if the engine is crappy i would replace the pickup. an engione is osmething that will need to be done at some point in time so its best to find out now than not at all.....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
that is a good point. I am trying to just get the thing running. It has been tempting me for too long sitting in a field. I am really trying to get it running since I have never had a four wheel drive. This website is awesome and everyone is so helpful. I only wish they had a website to fix my girlfriends VW Passat.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.