Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my wife likes my 85 RC so much she is now driving it so I needed to get another one for me & found this one locally. I took off the top & there was a spare 203 in the back that came with it, the spare 203 has the milemarker part time kit & it looks like a chain kit as well. both are for sale.

Once the top was off & all of the carpet was removed it has very little rust & mostly only in the pass door.

Specs 360/727/np203 I have added a 5" lift & eliminated the factory rear blocks. The a/c system is now removed except for the compressor which will soon be an onboard air setup.

The 33" tires are on the way from Tirerack.com & I am going to place a steel order this week for all of the tubing for a full roll cage & then in the coming weeks stitch up the soft top.

Here are some pics, enjoy!

This one is after the lift & after I have been to the DMV & received tha new plates & gotten it through Calif smog for the last time, hopefully unless they change the requirements again

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to paint it camo either snow or desert camo but I do not know how or have any patterns. Could anyone here help with this problem?

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
Looks sweet....{smoke}

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I don't know if you guys remember my 85" rc & the bumpers & roof rack that I welded up for it. Well the wife has the 85" now but I put the bumper on the 77" & am about to start on the full roll cage & soft top. I will post more pics if you all like after the roll cage gets started, but here is a pic of the bumper that was on the 85".

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wicked looking bumper you got there. I like it a lot. I've been having a hard time finding a winch bumper to put on mine. May have to get with my buddy and us fab one. Not sure why I never thought of that...

Got two good looking RCs there. Can't wait to see that roll cage now that I've seen the bumper.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks slgunnel!

Today's update: replaced the 31x10.5x15 Dunlop's with 33x12.5x15 Kuhmo MTs. So with the 5" lift, shims, shocks, steering dampner & tires I think that it is sitting where I want it now. Oh yeah I swaped the winch bumper from the 86" to the 77" & got it all hooked up. That is all for today, tomorrow I start on the design & mock up of the full cage :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, with a better bender I could do many better designs but who has $3000 for a hobby. It is a Ramsey 12000 lb old style (before plastic was used) & I used 3/8" plate for the winch mount & 2" X .120" wall round DOM tubing.

·
Registered
321 Posts
That is a sweet rig. Awesome fab work too. I'm sure you will love those tires too. I have a set exactly like that on my truck except 35". This will be a great all round rig.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I have been welding for the past few days & here is what I have come up with so far, tomorrow it goes back on the RC & I do the tubes to the floor & all of the cross bracing. Also are the grab handles & front tubes past the dash to the floor.

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
That looks fantastic. Great job with the tubing. question though: If this will be your daily driver, what are you going to use for a top? It doesn't appear that the hard top will fit after the roll cage is secured. Soft top? Last question: just curious...can I ask what you paid for that RC? If uncomfortable with being public, send me an email.

Mike

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No this is built outside of the dimensions of the hard top, yes I am going to use soft tops. Bikini top, half top & full soft top. I found it locally & the guy was asking 2k for it, which is high for the mechanical condition that it was in but I talked him down to $1500. And then found out that it also came with new tires (that are on my other RC now) & a spare transfer case with all of the milemarker stuff in it, the spare case will not do me much good as I am going to keep the RC fulltime 4x4. But it is there so that I can sell it & recoup some of the costs for all of my modifications.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bitchin cage man. But i have a question. will it be strong enough if it isn't welded to the frame? Granted it's alot easier and a lot more convenient. Will it hold up to "good" roll? And if you don't mind me askin what type and model welder do you use?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! This is just the first phase, next comes the tubes that tie it in to the floor & then the tubes that will tie the floor plates into the frame. There will be at least 8 points that it will tie to the frame, all gusseted & cross braced. I started it this way because I wanted the cage & top to go out to the edges of the body so I built it as a real strong top that I can tie into the rest, my bender does not do tight enough bends to bend up around the bed rails using 2" tubing & make it look right :) I use a Lincoln hd100 mig, Victor oxy/acetalene & a buzz box arc welder.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Nice rig, and like your Cage ;D

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Are you sure those welds will hold up? why not weild it to the frame?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As mentioned above a couple times::

"This is just the first phase, next comes the tubes that tie it in to the floor & then the tubes that will tie the floor plates into the frame. There will be at least 8 points that it will tie to the frame, all gusseted & cross braced. I started it this way because I wanted the cage & top to go out to the edges of the body so I built it as a real strong top that I can tie into the rest, my bender does not do tight enough bends to bend up around the bed rails using 2" tubing & make it look right :) "

1 - 20 of 27 Posts