Dodge RamCharger Central banner

my dropped '93 D150

5K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  raycer 
#1 ·

I got my new grill on. The front bumper is tweaked. I'm going to get a stock chrome replacement without the rubber step. I stripped the paint from the factory aluminum wheels. I'm still working on making them shine a bit more. A shopping cart return took out the molding on the bed side. I'm thinking of taking it all off anyway.

Flipped rear axle (see the How-To section) and cut down Chisholm coil springs. Tucking about 2 inches of the stock fatty tires all around.

I have big plans for her! This is just the beginning.

See less See more
#5 ·
I get so caught up in the fun of cutting and everything that I always forget to measure. Same with my old Mitsu. I believe that the rear was about 5.5"?

The truck is low as heck. I put in low profile bump stops up front and they're only about an inch away from the control arms. Almost any bump will bottom it out. The cheapo oil shocks I put on the front also don't help. This is about as low as you can go without spindles (Cheeto???) The radius rods are REALLY close to the steering linkage. I've been thinking of moving the steering box up a bit to remedy this.

Amazingly enough I haven't had the truck aligned since I dropped it. I've put well over 4000 miles on the drop and no tire wear or pulling problems. I don't reccomend this though. Definately get an alignment after front suspension lowering. I'm just dumb and lazy.

Out back there's maybe 2.5" of travel. I still hauled 2500 lbs of concrete mix. The axle was riding on the frame but it still did it. That's why I need to get the air bags on. That way it'll ride nice and smooth.

When I bag it I want it to sit right about where it is now. I kinda like the stance and the fatty tires for some reason.

Way down the road I'd love to build a new frame for it. Using 2x4 steel will allow you to 'body drop' it without doing much cutting at all. Building a new frame will allow me to reuse the stock front suspension and mount it up higher in the rails so the cross member will be even with the bottom of the frame rails.

I was reading a recent issue of Classic Trucks where Fat Man Fab was building a chassis from scratch for an old Ford. That got me fired up about a new frame for the Dodge. The same issue has a 78-ish extra cab Ram with a Chisholm 5-7 drop on it in the Readers Rides section.

#11 ·
sorry about the slow response time. I'm traveling in the UK on business and don't have much time for checking my usual message boards. My net access is limited also.

swwaltw - The tires are stock size. something like a 235/75-15 They don't rub anywhere yet. There seems to be a lot of room in the wheel tubs out back. The inner fenders up front are going to be tricky though if I go any lower. Because of the hood hinges being mounted to the inner fender I can't just hack them out. Some kind of support will have to be put in to keep the hood happy. I'm thinking of getting some 17's this winter. My friend is getting new wheels for his F150 and is going to sell me his old billet 17's for cheap. I'll keep a tire with a decent sidewall on them though. I've bent enough rims with 205/40-17 rubber bands.

Mopar Man - This is more a problem of limited suspension travel before the lower control arm hits the bump stop. Bump steer is a different issue.

Slimer - so you cut the spring hat? I think that'll be my next step when I get back. That and air bags! I'm definately going to need them in the back for towing.

#12 ·
got some ?'s about drops i was told to come to u i know i talke to u a few times but im for real about gettin in to dropin my 87 d100 and my 86 rc let me know if u can help me in any way thankx man

#13 ·
I don't check up on the message boards nearly as much as I should. Drop me a line at LoFrontier@yahoo.com Give me an idea of how much you want to lower your truck and I'll give you some ideas on how to get it done.

#16 ·
Looks just like mine,but mine is a excab.
Sweet!

#17 ·
i like the new grill. and i think everyone needs a new front bumper, they ALL seem to be tweaked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.