Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We'll I finally pulled the trigger and "officially" started working on my '70 Charger.
I started gutting the car to determine what needs to be done as far as replacing bad metal. And for blasting.

I found the most complicated units of the car... the rear quarter window regulators...

Unbelievably complicated monsters! An engineering marvel!
But after spending time with them and getting to know them on a personal level... I think I may have them kinda figured out. ;D I got a rebuild kit for them.

And after sandblasting, rebuilding and painting them they didn't scare me that much anymore. ;D

It's amazing how simple the front side windows are compared to those rear ones.
I'm planning on making these all electric control. The front windows have kits available for them... not the rear 1/4er's. So I'll have to get some parts and fab up something to make the 1/4er's work electric. I found a company that can help with those.
Kinda odd this is the first thing I've restored, but the ball is rolling quickly and I ADDed on them. ;D
I need to plan way ahead to try to keep this project from stalling. I actually ordered my chassis the other day. It's from these guys... https://www.schwartzperformance.com/chassis/1968-1970-b-body-coronet-road-runner-charger-chassis/
I've been fascinated with this guys stuff for quite a few years now. They ain't cheap, but they have everything in one package. Which in the long run makes for better efficiency on my end. Quality stuff there. And they can really perform. They're almost 4 months out for delivery. :eek:
I had to make a decision on the wheels and tires right away too because of the brake size. Just finding what I was looking for was a challenge. I'm not purchasing them yet though.
So next week I'm towing it up to my sons house to get blasted. I'll need to figure out what I need for the metal replacement quickly. A fuel cell to determine sizing/ mounts for the trunk. Already making decisions for the engine to figure out the mounts on the chassis. Also the door catches, Daytona kit, etc.

I'll post progress pictures soon of what I did today.

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
hella-awesome project, and that chassis kit is pretty sweet too {cool}.  I'll definitely be watching this one come together! 

Yep the body needs some love that's for sure but nothing that can't be repaired.  I had good luck with rust-encapsulator and fiberglass to 'rebuild' the window channels - I think I got it all from Eastwood - basically blasted, primed the areas, laid in layers of fiberglass, trimmed, re-primed and painted - seemed to work good...tho I never completed the project (70 Challenger T/A clone) but the repair work seemed to be pretty straightforward.

We are re-acquiring our '71 Demon from our friend who bought it from us - he's going a different direction and may do an entirely different car... - anyway it'll be fun to rebuild the car...only this time it'll be with the kids :)

Keep jammin' Kurt! {popcorn} {popcorn}

- Sam

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mad Max said:
hella-awesome project, and that chassis kit is pretty sweet too {cool}. I'll definitely be watching this one come together!

Yep the body needs some love that's for sure but nothing that can't be repaired. I had good luck with rust-encapsulator and fiberglass to 'rebuild' the window channels - I think I got it all from Eastwood - basically blasted, primed the areas, laid in layers of fiberglass, trimmed, re-primed and painted - seemed to work good...tho I never completed the project (70 Challenger T/A clone) but the repair work seemed to be pretty straightforward.

We are re-acquiring our '71 Demon from our friend who bought it from us - he's going a different direction and may do an entirely different car... - anyway it'll be fun to rebuild the car...only this time it'll be with the kids :)

Keep jammin' Kurt! {popcorn} {popcorn}

- Sam
Thanks Sam for the info.
The worst window channel is the back glass channel.
Fortunately I don't need any of that. Being a Daytona, that channel is eliminated because the whole area is filled with a window plug from sail panel to sail panel. As seen here...

The Charger on the left is a 500. Dodge's first attempt for aerodynamics. It had the first window plug to eliminate drag caused by air pooling in between the standard sail panels. And it got a flush Dodge Coronet grille. Of course, the center one was Bobby Isaac's race Daytona. The one one the right is my ex-son-in-laws original Daytona.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
Are those rear window regulators specific to a Daytona, or same as other B bodies?

Bucky

·
Registered
52,877 Posts
dang gone. That's some rust there.

I love the project but I can feel MY bank account draining just looking at it.  :p

·
Registered
52,877 Posts
jungle said:
I did not think things rusted in your area :)
Looks like this is going to be another AWESOME build!!

426 or 540?
Jim
Yeah really! PA, NY, MI I can see rust but not CA.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
712edf said:
Are those rear window regulators specific to a Daytona, or same as other B bodies?

Bucky
They're kinda the same... same principle action. They roll down AND back.
My FSM for my '70 Charger shares with the '70 Coronet. But the mech is a little different in the Coronet.
Daytona's are basically '70 Chargers even though Daytona's are considered 1969's. The difference is in the front fenders. They changed them slightly in '70. So when you want to make a Daytona, you must have at least the 70 front fenders/ hood to line up with the nose cone unit.

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mopar65pa said:
dang gone. That's some rust there.

I love the project but I can feel MY bank account draining just looking at it. :p
This car came from Florida. It could have been worse. It doesn't matter these days. This era of Charger is like gold. AMD makes all kinds of replacement panels. It was tough 15 years ago to do a project like this. Not now.
It looks like the rear end was exposed to the elements while the front 2/3's was somewhat covered.
I have the original pink slip with the original owners name and address on it.

Yep. There's no bargains here. ;D
I waited to long for my rich uncles to die. Still waiting...;D So my wife and I decided it was time to get this thing going. Every things paid off. We've got exceptional credit. Enough available money on tap. So it's my turn before I get too old.
The bad thing... my wife wanted a new Durango SRT in Destroyer Gray. Like I said... it's my turn. ;D

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jungle said:
I did not think things rusted in your area :)
Looks like this is going to be another AWESOME build!!

426 or 540?
Jim
Not sure of the actual CI in the end.
Definitely 2nd Generation Hemi. Aluminum Siamesed Block. Indy Aluminum Heads. SMPI with a Whipple Supercharger. The goal is keeping it somewhat detuned to 1000 H.P.

·
Registered
799 Posts
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Thanks Sam for the info.
The worst window channel is the back glass channel.
Fortunately I don't need any of that. Being a Daytona, that channel is eliminated because the whole area is filled with a window plug from sail panel to sail panel. As seen here...

The Charger on the left is a 500. Dodge's first attempt for aerodynamics. It had the first window plug to eliminate drag caused by air pooling in between the standard sail panels. And it got a flush Dodge Coronet grille. Of course, the center one was Bobby Isaac's race Daytona. The one one the right is my ex-son-in-laws original Daytona.
Wasn't the 66-67 charger aerodynamic with the fastback design? They also put a lip at the bottom of the trunk too to help. It won nascar it's first year in 66. I think it's funny ford came out with the 68 torino which looked almost like a 67 charger.

·
Registered
16 Posts
86w250 said:
Wasn't the 66-67 charger aerodynamic with the fastback design? They also put a lip at the bottom of the trunk too to help. It won nascar it's first year in 66. I think it's funny ford came out with the 68 torino which looked almost like a 67 charger.
It was the front end that caused all the issues. They first tried the Charger 500. They flushed out the grille by using a Cornet grille and the fast back. Still couldn't beat the fords. They brought over an engineer from Chrysler Aero production for help. He drew a pic of the Daytona. President of Dodge said it was the ugliest car he ever saw. The engineer said I guarantee it will win races. The President said Built it.

·
Registered
52,877 Posts
That thing looks like a go-cart compared to your truck.  LOL..............    ;D

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My son towed the Charger up to his house yesterday.
This is the first time it's been out in 9 years...

It will get blasted tomorrow and it will stay there until the heavy metal gets stitched welded into place.
Here it sits on the side of his garage...

·
Super Moderator
2,160 Posts
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Not sure of the actual CI in the end.
Definitely 2nd Generation Hemi. Aluminum Siamesed Block. Indy Aluminum Heads. SMPI with a Whipple Supercharger. The goal is keeping it somewhat detuned to 1000 H.P.
Really hard to argue against the idea of a G2 hemi, "detuned" or not.

I did have this thought: As long as yer goin with the updated chassis - rack / pinion, 4 wheel disk, IRS why not full on restomod drive line? As in: HellCrate supercharged G3 [or DIY equivalent].

·
Registered
8,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
RWG75 said:
Really hard to argue against the idea of a G2 hemi, "detuned" or not.

I did have this thought: As long as yer goin with the updated chassis - rack / pinion, 4 wheel disk, IRS why not full on restomod drive line? As in: HellCrate supercharged G3 [or DIY equivalent].
I feel the bottom ends on Big Block Chrysler's are the most reliable units ever produced. They easily can out horsepower a 3rd Generation Hemi with more reliability.
Besides... it's a big engine bay. It needs to be filled up with a Big Block Hemi. Not a small block Hemi. ;D
By the way... not doing an IRS set up.

1 - 20 of 250 Posts