Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No you sickos, not THAT bannana. This is my 78 RC that I bought out in AZ (rust free!). Currently has a 360 and 727 auto with NP208 T/C. So far I've swapped both axles with 1984 RC axles that have been rebuilt with 4.10 gears (suregrip in the rear), tilt steering column from the same 84, 6" tuff country lift, doug thorley headers, interior has been sprayed with Line-X, stock roll bar installed, and a borgeson steering shaft.
Future plans call for a stroked 360 (408 cubic inches) with a six pack induction, new dash (whole thing), shaggies off road shackle flip, u-bolt flip and front shackles, front bumper and winch, rear spare tire carrier, and soft top.

NEW PICTURES AND UPDATES at the end of the post

Updates will be posted as they come along.

Bob

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
how did you get your exhaust to come out like that on the drivers side??? i thought the e-brake cables would be in the way. also the truck looks really good, i wish i could find and older removable top rc or trailduster around here.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My exhaust on my 78 comes out on both sides like that with no clearance.How about some interior and engine shots?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the complements! ;D I have the exhaust coming out just before the ebrake linkage, and it hangs down a few inches to make sure it wouldn't hit when I bounce things around. I had the exhuast done at an exhaust shop right after I installed the headers. Let me tell ya, driving this thing into town with open headers tends to draw some attention in the Socal area. It doesn't have H pipe or anything fancy like that, just duals with flowmaster 40 series coming out the side.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
how loud is it with the 40 series coming out the sides???

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jimbo said:
how loud is it with the 40 series coming out the sides???
going down the freeway at 65 ya can't even hear the tire drone, partially why I never bothered installing a radio ;D

Bob

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ramzilla1500 said:
My exhaust on my 78 comes out on both sides like that with no clearance.How about some interior and engine shots?
I don't have any new interior pictures yet with the spray in liner done. I'll try to get my family to take some and send them out to me so I can post them. As for the engine, I know I don't have any of it yet. It's spittin' out too much oil to worry about taking pictures of. :p When I get the new engine in there, I'll take a whole load of pictures and post them. :D

Bob

·
Registered
725 Posts
man, i love that old body style

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
VERRRRY nice. What kind or tires and rims are those? Also what size are the tires?

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ram1985Custom said:
VERRRRY nice. What kind or tires and rims are those? Also what size are the tires?
Mickey Thompson Classic 2 style, 15x10 inch rim with 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern (which are for sale in the classified section). Tires are continental 35x12.5 R15's. They're temporary until I can either save up for new tires or one of them goes out on me. OH, just for a heads up, I don't use the rims anymore because I swapped to the 5.5 bolt pattern.....the rims in the picture are sitting in the back of the truck while it sits in storage for me to get back to it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1978macho said:
Your ramcharger looks kind of familar except alot bigger. You should put the same macho sceme that i have on mine on it. Sweet truck!
I'm not too familiar with the macho scheme, do you have pictures I could look at to see what the differences are?

Bob

·
Registered
189 Posts
Beautiful truck Bob.
Be sure to get some pictures taken once you got the engine compartment cleaned up!

Joe 8)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Joe_Cool said:
Beautiful truck Bob.
Be sure to get some pictures taken once you got the engine compartment cleaned up!

Joe 8)
Not a problem Joe. I've looked at the pictures of your engine compartment, and it gives me something to work towards. How did you detail your firewall? Did you have to seal it around the heater box area with anything before painting? I swapped mine out to get rid of the a/c box, but the old box took most of the weatherproofing with it :( . Could I just grind it down and paint everything? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for all the compliments guys.

Bob

These next few pictures of it are the latest I have. I haven't been able to do all that much to it, since I was preparing for going overseas at this point. I did manage to get the skid plate back on though. After the transfer case drop brackets were installed, the skid plate wouldn't fit. I had to buy some square stock as a spacer between the frame and the back of the skid plate. The front of the skid plate bolts up to the crossmember. It's only had one "field test" (pardon the pun) so far, where I took it out to a place by my brother's work. It performed remarkably well, considering all the trails were made for jeeps or possibly even quads (got real narrow at points). Overall I'm extremely happy with it so far, and whenever I take it out I have no problems with the ungodly amount of money I've dumped into it so far. ::)

Bob

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I'm just wondering, did you have to lengthen or do many modifications for you 6 inch suspension lift? I plan on getting the 6 inch tough country for my 85...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ram1985Custom said:
I'm just wondering, did you have to lengthen or do many modifications for you 6 inch suspension lift? I plan on getting the 6 inch tough country for my 85...
I'm not sure if it's the same kit for my truck and yours, but if it is, you've got some work ahead of you. Check out the product review board for details. I left a long rant in there about what I had to go through. If you're still uncertain, I can email you all the specifics. Hope this helps any.

Bob

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
redneckmcvea said:
wut kind of lift do u have
Tuff Country, 6" with a few custom brackets (transfer case drop down brackets)

Bob

1 - 20 of 96 Posts