Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Them are both very nice! I really like the roof rack man! Got any plans on how you done that?

Jimmy

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Yea that is a nice roof rack, some plans would be nice!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK ok here is a diagram of the rack I just made up for you guys, the measurements are correct but I have not included any angles as I do not know them. I positioned the rack on the roof & shimmed it into position until it was exactly where I wanted it then I made up the legs & tack welded them in place so that everything lined up as you see it in the pictures, removed the whole thing from the roof & finished the welding. I then replaced it on the roof after the paint dried, removed the interior panels, drilled the holes (I really planned for it all to line up so there was 1 bolt on either side of the roof seam where you can get to the inside) then bolted it on with 8 3/8" stainless button head bolts with washers & ny-lock nuts. This is probably more explanation than anyone wanted but if anyone wishes to try it good luck it was a pain in the you know what! But I do love how it turned out, just watch the turns when you have 12 1/2" sheets of drywall in it & the guy behind you radios that he can see light under the tires on one side of your rig :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, when I say the "angles" I mean for the mounting legs. Grid is 90 deg & the cross braces I did at 45 deg with 3" spacing at the close ends.

·
Registered
231 Posts
That is a nice job man, definately like it.
Tim

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a bunch guys, I really like how it turned out as well. It was really agravating that I could not find one that would fit a sheet of plywood & that would work on the top of a RC that I didn't have to rework the whole thing anyway & wow they are expensive, even for the littel ones. After buying a used torch/tank set & all of the materials it still cost me 1/2 of what a rack that I would have had to modify would have cost. Now I turn my attention to the front winch bumper which extends 18 inches from the front of the grill & has about 6 inches of air gap between the bumper & the grill,(really kills the approach angle!). I figure that if I notch out the bottom of the valance below the grill I can move the winch up 6 inches & back about 5 inches then bend tubing & create a multi tube bumper & grill guard, I will be happy then. Well there will be making a rear bumper to match but then I will be happy :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts