Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres my 83 D150, I'm new to ramchargers so hopfully I'm posting this in the right place :)

A friend and I made the hood from a spare I had. Its a 318 with light mods. 4bbl, cam heads, headers and flowmasters. Runs high 15's but i know it can do better if i can ever get back to the track :)

Attachments

·
Registered
0 Posts
Nice side exhaust and headlight blackouts.....cool truck.

Randall

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dodge88 said:
Nice side exhaust and headlight blackouts.....cool truck.

Randall
Thank you Randall, they were my first mod to the truck. I made them out of lexan and the left over tint from my windows... wasn't to hard. And because i had extra head light pods, i cut the bezel out of them and bonded the covers into them... the pipes i did cause there cheap and didn't have to take it the exhaust shop. ;D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
swwaltw said:
once a gin that is a nice hood how did you do it
Hmm lets see how I can write this down with out making it a small book :) basically we figured out how big we wanted the scoop. After measuring the whole hood i decided the easiest way to map it out would be to measure 21" from the edge in (did this from each side) and 23" from the edge in at the front. This made it tapper off wider at the back. We used a cutting wheel once we had the lines put on the hood and made the cuts. to get the bend at the front we actually slid a 2"X4" under the front till i like how the angle looked then bent it over it, put some supports in (i think we used coat hanger for those) ened up playing with everytihng untill we got it where we wanted it. After all the adjustments were made it was off to the brake to bend up the sides, and a back peice has to be put in so that the cowl extends pass the rear of the hood. All of this took a lot of stitch welding (especially to keep the center hood line) Andwe also wanted to keep the heat down so we didn't warp the metal more than it was. :) When the welding was complete it was time for some fiberglass (wanted to have a good base for the body work) We smoothed the glass as best as we could then it was time for polyester and a lot of palying around. there isn't alot of body fill but being so picky, we ended up going through alot trying to make it look right.
I wish i had my camera back then so I could of taken alot of step by step photos. I think the pictures could of told the story better :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
onebadstepside said:
chevy hood?
HUH???? Nope it was the hood off the 1984 Ram that i bought for parts when i needed a tranny and a few other small items for the switch to the 318.... originally the truck had a /6 in there

·
Premium Member
2,209 Posts
looks good but needs better lookin rims....

·
Registered
107 Posts
I like the job you did on your hood. Makes me want to add a scope on mine. GOOD JOB!

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Man that is an awesome truck.... It is the best lookin long bed I have seen in a while....and runs 15 in the 1/4? THat is a quick 318! It just have the right stance! It is awesome!

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
Ramcharger_dude84 said:
looks good but needs better lookin rims....
do what?!? those rims are awesome!

Duane

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Yes they are.... The paint is beutiful did you do it your self?

·
Registered
103 Posts
DodgeRamSS......very nice truck.......and great job on the hood .... I know how hard those cowls are to build outof a stock hood ive done it a couple of times never on a ram tho!! it looks good!! I'm tinkering with a 90 long bed now so hope it comes around soon!! lol! keep up the good work!! ;D

G

·
Very slick truck! :eek: :eek:What are the sizes and backspacing of your wheels and tires, and where did you get the blackout headlight covers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Rims are 8" all around... 3"backspace on the front (265?50/15's) and the backs are deep dish (no spacing) (295/50/15's). the black out headlight covers i made my self since i couldn't find any... Too bad I didn't have my camera back then... could did a step by step on how to make them. There pretty easy, All i did was cut out the headlight pod and replaced it with lexan cut outs... the first pair I made were painted till I got nabbed :) the ones on the truck are tinted with 5% like the rest of my windows.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.