Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had fun over the last four months with my Ramcharger, but the problems are too numerous to keep it anymore.  The back door fell off, it started on fire when I last tried to start it, there's a fuel leak under the truck along the line against the frame, and then some.  I just don't want to spend any more on it.  I may pick up a nicer one later.  It was a good experiment though.

I'm donating it to charity in exchange for a $500.00 tax deduction and a two night, three day stay in a hotel in LA.  Not too shabby.  Thanks for all the advice and maybe I will return with a better one.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
Depending on it's condition overall you may have been able to come out better by just selling it.  Instead, it will be crushed and will be one less Ramcharger in the world to be built or used for parts to keep others on the road.

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
Elwenil said:
Depending on it's condition overall you may have been able to come out better by just selling it. Instead, it will be crushed and will be one less Ramcharger in the world to be built or used for parts to keep others on the road.
:'(

·
Super Moderator
14,035 Posts
Elwenil said:
Depending on it's condition overall you may have been able to come out better by just selling it. Instead, it will be crushed and will be one less Ramcharger in the world to be built or used for parts to keep others on the road.
it might not be crushed. Plenty of charities will auction or sell off donated vehicles. GoodWill does that locally where I live.

·
Registered
423 Posts
10-4 elwenil it will probably be crushed,they like to crush the older trucks for the scrap value because of the steel not all plastic like a stupid honda.living in so cal going to la sounds like a punishment not a prise hopefully he can save one out here!!

·
Premium Member
8,083 Posts
Elwenil said:
Not necessarily, Lanty. We sell thousands of donation vehicles just like his at our auction. We have dozens of donation companies from The National Kidney Foundation, to Kars for Kids, to The American Cancer Society. They make more money selling cars at auction for their cause than crushing them even if they are older or beat up.

·
Super Moderator
29,562 Posts
You guys must have a better quality of charities then because around here, they all crush any old vehicle for scrap.  Occasionally some widow will die and donate her '98 model Taurus or something they will auction it, but anything requiring the slightest amount of work gets scrapped.  The local Salvation Army scrapped a mid '90s Dodge 15 passenger van with very low miles (church van) because the transmission was out of it.  If it gets saved, that is good but in my experience it will probably be crushed and scrapped which is a shame.

·
Premium Member
8,083 Posts
Elwenil said:
You guys must have a better quality of charities then because around here, they all crush any old vehicle for scrap. Occasionally some widow will die and donate her '98 model Taurus or something they will auction it, but anything requiring the slightest amount of work gets scrapped. The local Salvation Army scrapped a mid '90s Dodge 15 passenger van with very low miles (church van) because the transmission was out of it. If it gets saved, that is good but in my experience it will probably be crushed and scrapped which is a shame.
We have 138 locations in the U.S. and get charity donations from all over. I'll bet the charities you've seen crush cars are not our customers. I'd like to know their names... I could sick a Marketing guy on them and convince them that we would get more money for them than scrap weight. We don't have the Salvation Army as a customer for sure. They refuse to talk about auctioning cars and act like they don't care about getting more money.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah guys, first off I don't think you may understand what a sorry shape this truck was in.  I mean, it became unsafe, and I have pretty generous standards where personal safety comes into play.  I didn't get any assurances as to the final disposition of the rig, but I know it will be auctioned and I am willing to bet it will end up in a salvage yard, which is really where it belongs-there are lots of good parts left in it.

Maybe I could have sold it for $2-300, after buying it for $400, but its not worth the wait for the right buyer.  I'll take the tax break and the hotel room-which I can use very soon.  I had it on CL with no calls for a week.

Its sad to see an RC dissappear, but it was already gone when I bought it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
sounds like you made the right choice matt,sorry if i sounded like i was being a jerk enjoy your vacation

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
BTW, you don't have to leave the forum just because you do not currently have a RamCharger, I think there are several members that are RamCharger free.

Bill

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.