Dodge RamCharger Central banner

My 1979 Ramcharger "Tribute Build" (360 Magnum NV4500 swap done)

50K views 157 replies 40 participants last post by  TheBohunk 
#1 ·
Bought new off the lot in 1979 by my dad. She started life as a 318 2bbl and I swapped in a 400 4bbl and one ton springs back in the early 90's. Drove it all through high school and plowed with it for many years. Wisconsin winters have not been to kind to the old girl and it may or may not be worth saving at this point. The decals are original and I know another member had one that was totaled in a wreck a couple years ago.

Here are some pics back in her glory years.

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks guys, I like the looks of the old girl too. I have a friend that owns a sign shop that will make the Ramcharger decals for me if I ever fix it up. The Rams head may be a little more challenging though.

It is burried in a snow bank at my dad's farm right now so getting pics will be tough. She looks pretty rough with substantial rust in the rear quarters, rockers, doors, etc. The transmission is blown and I put the plow on one of my other trucks years ago.

I have a dented up rust free Trailduster tub from Texas that I picked up years ago in case I wanted to swap it out someday. I think the tub is the same color too. Also, have doors, fenders etc. to fix her up if I can find the time.

I bought a 4BT cummins and a A518 trans for a FSJ Cherokee Laredo project but have decided against that now. The old Rammer would be a nice spot for that combo if I can stand the rattling. I also have a low mileage 440 that would work too. Decisions, decisions.....

#9 ·
BB MOPAAAAARRR!!! Diesels are cool but there aint nothing like the burble of a well tuned BB mopar! Jungle can vouch for me! ;D

#11 ·
redneckmcvea said:
its my old trucks twin! yeh i used to have one just like it only it was missing the ramcharger stripe unfortunatly a drunk hit her back in 06 and was totalled
I just recently saw that yours was totaled out. Too bad but at least you were alright. The old pics of mine were actually taken up in St. Augustine, Fl were I used to live for awhile. It was bought new in Wisconsin though and the road salt has done its job.

#12 ·
Here are a couple bad pics taken today. She has been sitting for many years now and everything is grown up around it. These are mainly to show you guys I actually still have it. ;D

#13 ·
I wanted to update this post because I think I have figured out which way my Ramcharger project will go. I have been debating what to do with it because I want the older styling with a more modern driveline with fuel injection.

This is what I picked up yesterday while browsing craigslist looking for a flatbed for my '93 Ram. The guy advertised it as a '89 318 Ram :-\ with a steel flatbed. I only went to buy the flatbed BUT, it turned out to be a '91 Ram W250 360 TBI, A518 automatic overdrive tranny, and 241 case. :) The other strange thing I discovered after digging around it was that it has a 8 lug Dana 44 front/HD 9 1/4 rear end combo with 3.90 gears. {cool} Never seen that before. Also has a factory transmission cooler and tow package along with overload springs. It hadn't been run for over a year but after I got it home I checked the oil, threw in a battery and it fired right up. Put it in gear and the tranny even works. Guy claimed it runs and drives fine and he just parked it because of the fuel mileage and work was slow. No surprise there I guess.

The body is not very good so this will make a perfect donor for me and probably provide the new driveline for the old '79 if everything else checks out OK. The flatbed is going on my '93 360 Magnum workhorse/plowtruck and basically the truck was free in my mind. Plus there are a few misc parts I can use on my '93 to keep her going.

#15 ·
My "grand" plan for this is quite involved. I have a rust free pop top tub that was rolled over so the windshield pillars are toast. I plan to cut the '91 cab off on the pillars and through the cab floors. Then I will cut the pop top in the same way and graft the rear pop top floors and tub to the '91 cab.

That way I get the modern dash and electonics without having to cut up the firewalls of each. I will use the good original top attachment off my '79 to bolt the top back on when all is done.

That is the plan....don't know how well it will work. {think}

#16 ·
Not sure how well the cut and graft I had planned will work. The pop top has a metal panel under the floor boards that runs from the front to back on both sides. The truck cab doesn't have any of that stuff.

Might end up having to cut and patch the firewall after all.  :-\

#18 ·
Turns out the 360 smokes steady once warmed up. The trans and rest of the driveline seem to be solid. The big shock is that the a/c still blows cold. Will have to think about my options again.

#19 ·
I think I am going to keep it old school. I have a built '69 440HP from a retired pulling truck that was originally going in one of my Charger's. That isn't going to happen now and maybe the Rammer would like a stout 440 instead. I am guessing 12-13mpg is probably the best case anyway with any combo so why not have some power to go with.

I also have a '80 Dodge W250 that will donate its NP435 and 208 to the project also. That should be pretty bulletproof and I already have it. May go with the 3.54 axles as well but truthfully I would like to keep the original wagon wheels and 3.21 axles for highway driving as this will be a weekend getaway rig hopefully. Torque of the 440 and 4 speed should still be alright with the 3.21's.

I just sold my 2 Jeep Cherokees this weekend so I am getting a little anxious to start working on the old Dodge. The bodywork and interior work is going to take some time.

#21 ·
The window tint is gone. Will probably retint with solid shade though.

#23 ·
The 318 is long gone and not coming back. It will be so far from original by the time I am done replacing bad parts that it won't really be original anyway. Original decals, paint, and, hopefully, wheels will stay for sure.

#24 ·
Well, time to put up or shut up. I dug the old Ramcharger out of the weeds today and loaded the rust free tub on to the rollback. Time to start repairing some dents in the tub and get ready for the teardown.

I will get some pics soon.

#25 ·
Here are some pics of it from yesterday. Kinda sad for a 50K mile truck but that is what road salt does. Last registered in 1997 so it has been sitting a long time. The one ton springs I added for plowing lifted it several inches in the front and rear.

This is the rebuilt 400 4bbl I added out of a wrecked Cordoba. It has a '68 Chrysler silcenced dual snorkel air cleaner on it off a 383 4bbl. Ran real strong way back when.

#26 ·
Here it is all loaded up on the rollback after fighting a frozen brake caliper for a 1/2 hour.

This is the pop top Texas tub I bought about 15 years ago. Just happens to be the same color.

It has one dented up quarter and the pillars are folded over. I have a good box side to replace the damage and will have to use the pillars or possibly front half from my '79.

Solid as a rock underneath which is awesome!

Now I just have to get down to some serious work. :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.