Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner
261 - 280 of 294 Posts

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
  NO not really , the eddy is easy to play with and see changes . I like the TQ if its set up right it is impressive but it can be finicky , so learning with the simpler linkage etc on the eddy is a good thing .... yep tail pipe IS gonna be black , lots of puffs of black smoke is another thing . 

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
No puffs, just sooty on the tips.

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
normal , especially with a playful operator ...........

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·

Changed out drop rods and threw a bigger jet in. Plugs still look about the same really. May need to do some tinkering still. Other than that, shes running good. Changed the oil today too, went with Lucas 15w-40 because of the higher zinc content. Had been running 10w-30 but general consensus here was that was a little thin so I went a little heavier. It definitely bumped my oil pressure up, probably to 50 psi warm at idle. Here is a pic from today, my daily driver '14 1500 in the background.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #266 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
Well your '78 looks like a good daily driver too! ;D
Nice!
It could be, car seats wont fit though.

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
keep it untill you don't  need them , like me .

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
dodge82273 said:
keep it untill you don't need them , like me .
That is indeed the plan.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
W200'78 said:
It could be, car seats wont fit though.
We went a lot of places in my truck when our daughter was born.
Only one car seat though. We spaced the kids out enough we didn't need to run two car seats at the same time.
The did share the center seat belt a few times though.
Of course, that was way back when you didn't have to run car seats until the kids were five years old.
Heck, I remember growing up in the late 50's/ early 60's and riding around the backseat of my parents car with no seat belts at all. They made my brother and I sit still though... no standing up at least. That was too dangerous! ;D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
KurtfromLaQuinta said:
We went a lot of places in my truck when our daughter was born.
Only one car seat though. We spaced the kids out enough we didn't need to run two car seats at the same time.
The did share the center seat belt a few time though.
Of course, that was way back when you didn't have to run car seats until the kids were five years old.
Heck, I remember growing up in the late 50's/ early 60's and riding around the backseat of my parents car with no seat belts at all. They made my brother and I sit still though... no standing up at least. That was too dangerous! ;D
You know I aint that old, Im only 27, but this world has changed a lot even since I was little.

When I was younger, my dad had an old 2wd regular cab F150. All four of us, Mom, Dad, younger brother and myself would ride in that truck. Dad driving, me in the middle, mom in the passenger seat and little brother sitting in the passenger side floorboard or standing. When we got a little older, mom and dad would be up front and we rode in the bed alot. The truck had a topper, not that it would make much difference in an accident.

Come to think of it, this W200 of mine, the original owner whom I got it from, relayed to me how at one time he purchased a topper for this truck so their two kids could ride in the bed for a family vacation, all the way to Texas....from Indiana. No kidding.

But back on subject, even in my short time on this planet, a lot has changed. I remember not having a phone on you 24/7 like a lot of you guys do though I admit I have grown quite accustomed to having one now.

I remember the pre-9/11 world and I remember 9/11 itself like it was yesterday. I didnt quite understand the full ramifications at the time but I do remember living it. Space shuttle Columbia too. The Irag invasion. Mission Accomplished. Ha, yea right. I know you guys have seen more than me but a whole lot has changed in the last 20 years or so.

I remember actually playing outside as a kid. My homeplace butted up to a 50 acre farm with a creek that we now own and I know every rock and tree on that property from exploring it when I was young. My parents let us out in the morning and most generally didnt see us till supper time. I suspect that dont happen much with todays kids of the same age.

Believe it or not, we were still allowed to carry pocketknives in school and we did. That doesnt happen now. The school got cameras a couple years after I graduated and basically goes on lockdown everyday now. The little Case stockman knife I always carried would get you expelled now. I am lucky to be just old enough to remember what many might consider a simpler world.

And fellars, I aint gonna lie, I do get to missing it sometimes.

Even if it is false nostalgia.

·
Registered
13,181 Posts
today it is important that YOU voice your opinion about what is happening , please heed advice from elders and gripe , refuse , what ever , when you see the things that defy common sense , and be aware what schools are teaching your kids .  Lol  1 phone in house , a rotory dial , bread 4 cents a loaf , 3 tv channels , hell the house just got running water , kerosene cook stove , pop bitched up a storm about paying 2 k for the new car , said there wasn't 2 k worth of steel in the whole thing , seat belts ? what are they ? only found in fighter planes ,  I useta sleep on rear window package tray on long trips ... ( VERY BAD )

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #272 · (Edited)
Been a few months. Got a little project done I have been putting off for a few years which was wiring in a 7 pin trailer plug and a trailer brake comtroller. Im not a fan of doing wiring work, though I have most tools to make it easy enough. I was really dreading doing this though for some reason. Been putting it off for 3 years or more now, but now the time has come where I need it.

I mounted the brake controller in the cab and got fused power ran to it and got it tied into the brake light switch on the pedal. Then ran some 10/2 duplex wire down the frame rail to the back of the truck. That fed the brake power and auxiliary power to the plug.

Then the part I was dreading, digging back into the tailight wiring that I had already redone a while back. I dont know why I why was thinking it was going to suck, it really wasnt bad, especially since I took the time to do it neatly when I redid the tailight wiring before. Got tapped into my turn signals, reverse lights, and running lights to supply power to the 7 pin trailer plug.

Got it all done and buttoned up and checked all the outputs with my test light and some help from the wife hitting pedals and switches and signals and what not for me and all worked perfectly.

Until we plugged in the trailer. Nothing. No lights, no brakes, nothing. Turns out the trailer plug was pulled a little too hard apparently by whoever used it last and several wires had been yanked off their terminals. Got that fixed and then we were good to go.

Some of you may remember some pics I posted a few years back of my grandpas tractor and hit and miss engine collection. He passed in 2014 and now the collection belongs to my dad and uncle. Well my grandma, in an effort to downsize and simplify her life sold the farm that that collection was stored on and moved into town.

Well that now requires moving a 60’x80’ pole barn packed full to the brim of antique farm equiment. Atleast 12 tractors, 50 plus engines and a bunch of other misc old farm equipment. Most of it is going to another farm we own.

Hence the reason I finally got around to wiring the plug and brake controller up to the truck. I was tired of towing these heavy tractors with my half ton daily driver. It has the power but these coil spring rear ends Ram uses now suck for anything more than getting groceries.

The ol’ W200 performed spectacularly. I aint hauling anything to heavy, the heaviest tractor we will haul is a WD45 Allis that weighs probably over 4500 pounds with the old trip dump loader on it. But that feels like a lot of weight on a coil spring half ton by the time you add in our trailer that weighs probably atleast 3000lbs itself Im guessing. You definitely know its back there. Trailer alone almost bottoms out the suspension on my 1/2 ton.

Heres a pic of our WC Allis Chalmers (3500 pounds-ish) about to get unloaded at its new home. Truck was stable and pulled like a dream. Here in southern Indiana, its pretty hilly and our roads are windy, and the W200 handled it well, way better than my half ton. And sounded great pulling those hills under load too! I could listen to those magnaflow mufflers all day.

4 of 12 down. 8 to go. Then we start moving engines and the other misc stuff.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #274 ·
Thanks jungle. As I have said many times, all credit goes to the original owner, now passed, for 40 years of extreme meticulousness.

Heres an extremely handy trailer plug wiring diagram for anybody who may ever need it. I found it somewhere online while doing this little project.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·

Truck performed flawlessly again. First pic is one of our WD45s. This was the main tractor my grandpa farmed with, getting ready to be unloaded at its new home.

Bottom pic is a Farmall regular, doesnt run. Mainly a pile of scrap at this point. Only keeping for the wheels. The rear wheels have a rare cleat style not seen very much at all. Came from a farm near us in the river bottoms.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #276 ·
So been thinking lately about making my truck completely mechanical, no brain whatsoever for…reasons.

Well really, I just like dead simple.

What all is involved when swapping to a points distributor? Also what is involved in swapping to the points or mechanical style voltage regulator from the what I believe is called “solid state” one?

My truck being a 78, has the ignition control module and the solid state voltage regulator. I want to do away with those.

Tips, pointers, yays or nays would be appreciated. Not ruling out a magneto distributor but I dont want this endeavor to cost $1000 either.

·
Administrator
59,684 Posts
The electronic volatage red, and ignition are amung the best and most reliable that dodge, and/ or any company made. You could easily go back to manual, but the few mechanical voltage regs, are just a fake box, with electronics inside. If you can find a mechanical voltage reg, it is easy to wire in, but read up, they require constant messing with to keep charging, and are not reliable. The points dizzy, is the same, drop in and go. more reliable the the mech VR, but still not without their issues. They wear spark plugs faster, and need cleaning/ adjustment yearly at a minimum.

Reactions: W200’78

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
You know I aint that old, Im only 27,
That one is hard to remember. Kinda like what I was at 27.

Come to think of it, this W200 of mine, the original owner whom I got it from, relayed to me how at one time he purchased a topper for this truck so their two kids could ride in the bed for a family vacation, all the way to Texas....from Indiana. No kidding.
No doubt and no seats either. Also no mobile device.

I remember the pre-9/11 world and I remember 9/11 itself like it was yesterday. I didnt quite understand the full ramifications at the time but I do remember living it. Space shuttle Columbia too. .... a whole lot has changed in the last 20 years or so.
I remember being in the World Trade Center as well as working briefly in one of the buildings it fell on. A guy in my dept was standing across the river from it. Reasons and ramifications are many. Hell, barely OEM carbs by the time you were born.

Thanks jungle. As I have said many times, all credit goes to the original owner, now passed, for 40 years of extreme meticulousness.
One of the reasons Kurt appreciates this thing.

Truck performed flawlessly again.
3/4 ton out pulling a 1/2 ton is about right. 40 year old Dodge out pulling a newish one, no surprise. Did ya notice how it almost felt happier hauling something heavy?

·
Super Moderator
1,296 Posts
So been thinking lately about making my truck completely mechanical, no brain whatsoever

Tips, pointers, yays or nays would be appreciated.
I understand the desire entirely and hence why I have [not to me] old iron.

Ya can't remove a brain that isn't there. The most simplest explanation of what the 70s Chrysler electronic ignition is a two stage class A power amplifier, more or less identical to a loud mono tape player. Yes, parts fry because electronics. No, don't wear over miles like points. ECUs stamped Chrysler will out live vehicle.

Theory:
1. magnet mounted to distributor, turns with it, pick up coil mounted to body. That's a moving magnet pickup in a record player.
2. ECU uses bias voltage stepped down by ballast resistor to amplify signal from distributor. That's a pre-amp.
3. Coil is a voltage step up transformer, high enough to form a spark. PA systems use current amps.
4. Ya don't get a distributor cap equivalent in audio unless yer powering multiple speakers.

Points replace 1,2. it's kinda uninventing the wheel or in this case, the radio.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
The electronic volatage red, and ignition are amung the best and most reliable that dodge, and/ or any company made. You could easily go back to manual, but the few mechanical voltage regs, are just a fake box, with electronics inside. If you can find a mechanical voltage reg, it is easy to wire in, but read up, they require constant messing with to keep charging, and are not reliable. The points dizzy, is the same, drop in and go. more reliable the the mech VR, but still not without their issues. They wear spark plugs faster, and need cleaning/ adjustment yearly at a minimum.
Thanks for the input superburban. I knew the new “old style” VRs were fake if you want to call them that.

Whats the best place to find a points style distributor for an rb block? Keep in mind, junkyards with these vehicles are almost non existent in my area.

261 - 280 of 294 Posts