Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 304 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I recently purchased myself a toy, much to the dismay of my wife, but I just couldn’t let it go. Its a 1978 W200. The pics are the day that I purchased it.

I bought it from a good friend of my grandfather, and a fellow member of my local fire department. He was a man I really looked up to. Much like my grandfather who passed in 2014, this man seemed to know everything about anything mechanical. He ordered the truck in 1977. It was delivered to the local Dodge dealer Nov. 19, 1977 with 2 miles on the clock. He picked it up Nov. 22 and it had 4 miles on it by then. I purchased the truck Oct 27 of 2017, less than a month shy of him owning it 40 years. He sadly passed away Dec 4 of 2017.

I had never seen it in person the day I went to look at it. I knew he had it, I knew he bought it new, I knew he took meticulous care of it based on his daily driver I was familiar with. So when I found out he was selling it, and having a long love for these Dodges, I jumped at the opportunity.

When i purchased it, it had a little over 77,800 miles on it. I am about to hit 78,500 now. It is mostly original. Only the bottom section of red on the body has been repainted, the rear bumper is original but has also been repainted. The front bumper with winch and the wagon wheel rims are not original of course. Other than that though, its original. He had and gave me the original front bumper and the original rims with covers and lugnuts. Also had a spare radiator, front driveshaft, set of aluminum rims, a brand new battery, and loads of filters.

The truck did have some mold in the interior as it had sat in a barn for a few months sealed up which is alot of what you may see on the seats. That is of course now gone. Does show wear however on the drivers side of the seat. He hadnt driven it in roughly a year but said he had started monthly. It fired right up when I got in it the first time. Oh yeah, that reminds me, its got a 440 and of course the 727 trans and 4.10 gears.

This truck is just too nice not to post for others to see. The pictures do not do it justice as it was overcast the day I looked at it. I will try to post more from after I got it home and got a fresh coat of wax on it. This man loved this truck, 40 years of meticulous care went into it and it truly shows.

Few minor mechanical issues. I had to put a new passenger side exhaust manifold on as the one on it was cracked, carb was a bit gummy, and I changed the oil in both diffs. Trans fluid was a touch low but looked in good shape. He had recently changed the engine oil and it still looked new so I have yet to change it but may soon just for the hell if it. Has factory a/c and cruise. A/C has a small leak that needs fixed and then recharged. Cruise does not work but I have yet to mess with it. Probably just a bad connection somewhere.

I gave him more than the top dollar amount I had in my head, call it an impulse buy. But i could not pass it up. I mean, original owner, meticulously cared for? Whats an extra $1500? I couldn’t argue with a man who had bought it new and had it 40 years.

So, what do you all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Few pics from after I wiped the inch of dust off and put on a fresh coat of wax. She shined up pretty good.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
looks fine to me>

What did you give for it? What did you tell the wife you gave for it?  ;D

Bucky

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I gave 8000. Like i said, its more than I should have gave but its one owner and having known the owner and the care he gave it, I am ok with that. Knowing the history of it is worth it to me.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Welcome aboard...OMG, beautiful truck. What a great find. We have the same winch bumper and I'm guessing winch.

It's amazing how wives can get dismayed by our toys. My ex did...

Thanks for sharing the pics. Had it been me, I would have bought it too.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well we made a small deal. She wanted a kid and I wanted this truck. Haha. Little does she realize I had already agreed to the baby a few months before buying the truck.

The man I bought it from put the winch and bumper on in the winter of 1978. We had a big snow here in Southern Indiana (or so I’ve been told, I came to be in 93) and he got stuck in a snow bank and said he didn’t want to have that problem again. So on the winch went.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have always loved the power wagon emblems that were on the hood of these trucks, but this one didn’t come with them. I hear they stopped the metal emblems in 1977. Anyway, I purchased a set off of ebay for $55 off an Arizona truck and they were in great shape. Added them not long after buying the truck. I couldn’t bring myself to poke a hole in the hood however, so they are on with two side tape.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
Keep an eye on the Power Wagon emblems, the originals were put on with emblem tape and they would come loose, which is why the later one screwed on.  Check them when you shut the hood to make sure one doesn't pop off.  I had to put the ones back on my two '74s a couple times.

Over a very nice truck that appears to be a well preserved survivor.  I do agree you paid a bit too much, but as long as you are happy I guess that is all that matters.  Is the paint original?  I'd probably replace the center caps, repaint the rims and keep it in the garage for nice cruising days, but that's just me.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The paint is original except for the section of red running around the bottom, it has been repainted. Center caps and repainting the rims is on the list as well. Lugnuts are getting replaced to as they are getting rusty like the center caps. And she only goes out on nice days. Garage kept the rest of the time.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just out of curiousity, did many of these trucks come with the 440? Most I have seen are 318 and 360s. It runs good for the most part. It kinda studders when your taking off from a stop at times though. It would vapor lock when I first got it like after I drove somewhere and shut it off 15 minutes or so, it would be hard to start and wouldn’t idle for a while. Replacing the exhaust manifold seemed to fix that, I’m guessing from the extra heat it was letting out under the hood.

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
Well, it's a nice example, that is for sure.  I'd love to find a '74 W200 with a lot of options like yours in that kind of condition.  I'd never be able to afford it, over priced or not, but I can dream, lol.  {cool}

As for the 440, it's hard to say since Chrysler never put out any option breakdown numbers.  For sure the majority of them were 318s and '79 was the last year for the 440.  It's all bragging rights though since there really isn't a collector market for Dodge trucks except for a few specific trucks like the LREs.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What are LREs?

·
Super Moderator
29,507 Posts
Little Red Express

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh duh of course. I’ve never been into them as much. But they are definetely more popular. I knew when i purchased it though that its worth whatever someones willing to pay. I was willing to pay that knowing I’ll never sell it anyway. This truck is basically my dream truck.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Figured I’d share some pictures from this weekend. I used the truck to haul some mulch for landscaping around my house. Hauled 2 yards on it Friday and and then 3 more yards Saturday morning. Didn’t think to get a picture of it loaded but did notice a photogenic moment while spreading mulch.

Attachments

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Three yards of mulch in the bed was heaped up pretty good. Got to thinking of some leftover kiln dried walnut I had laying around from a kitchen countertop project and some other trucks I had seen with some wood bedsides. Well the gears started turning and this is what I ended up with. Some may think I’m crazy but I like it. I am going to throw a coat of urethane on them as well. Havn’t got that far yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Very nice...Great job.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am going to add a couple pics of my new signal lenses here. Want to keep track of changes I make to the truck. Not so much a build thread, but a maintenance/upkeep/upgrade thread for it.

Added these to replace a cracked lense and because I like the orange better than the clear.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And another cosmetic upgrade. This time to the interior. Spend the big dough on some good floor mats. Originally seen these in LMC but they were $120 or so from them and I didnt want to spend that much on floor mats. Was snooping around rockautos website and turns out they carry them for a lot less, about $80 if I remember correctly. The carry several colors, with and without the dodge embroidery. I sprung for the "oxblood" color with embroidery. Pretty pleased with the quality, time will tell if they hold up. They have the cutout for the accelerator pedal and are formed for the trans tunnel on both sides as well and fit good. Wish it was a shade brighter red but not a big deal.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Really very beautiful Powerwagon. I like the red and white color.
And floor mats seem to be very well also.
I hesitated for my Ramcharger but I believe that I am going to be allowed try.

1 - 20 of 304 Posts