Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I'm going to apply for a blackpowder license this year. I've never hunted elk with a muzzleloader. Right now I have a CVA Hawkens in .50 cal. (I traded my CVA Apollo inline for this thing, it had better work)

Colorado prohibits sabot rounds, pellets, and optical sights on muzzleloaders. Any tips on bullets or techniques for elk?

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I've hunted white tail over here with a muzzle loader. I used balls and open sights, nothing else. It's been a long time, so I'm kinda out of the loop as far as current equipment.

You probably know all this anyway, knowing your background, but I recommend practice, practice, practice. Use the same load everytime and learn the effective range. The first time I ever hunted with a muzzle loader, I missed an easy shot because I didn't allow myself enough time to learn the rifle.

Is that Hawkins flint lock or percussion cap?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You already know how to hunt elk so you really don't need any help or advice there, you just need to get closer, within 100 yards for a smokepole for a reliable kill. Since you can't use a sabot I think you're pretty much limited to a round ball. Thats what I'd use anyway. Teds right too, practice, practice, practice.

Chris

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
be sneaky, sneaky, sneaky. an stay downwind.

thats all i know

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Balls, Balls, sneaky,sneaky, sneaky, practice, practice, practice.

Got it. Thanks guys. :)

Ted, the Hawkens is a percussion. I rescued it from my buddy as he was about to wrap it around an aspen after it misfired on a fifty yard, standing, broadside shot at a cow elk. I promised to trade my inline for it. Probably not one of my brightest moves.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
it was if he didnt know how to load it an work it!

practice with sneaky balls! that will work too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You shoulda let him it bend it around the tree first. Then you could hide behind trees and walls and still shoot the elk without them seeing you ;D

Nah, Danny. You won't regret making the trade. I don't like them new fangled muzzleloaders. If someone is going to hunt with old fashioned methods he should use an old fashioned muzzleloader like the Hawkins.

Chris

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Percussion is the only kind of muzzle loader I've used.

The nostalgic part of me would like to have a flint lock rifle. I think it would be cool. I guess there would be certain limitations in damp weather, though.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
i dont think so. doesnt a sabot use a plastic wad around the circumferance of the bullet. so you can use a .225 bullet in say a .50 barrel

that looks like a ....... butt plug or a wadding on the rear of the bullet

http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_bullets.htm

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
willy J said:
i dont think so. doesnt a sabot use a plastic wad around the circumferance of the bullet. so you can use a .225 bullet in say a .50 barrel

that looks like a ....... butt plug or a wadding on the rear of the bullet

http://www.chuckhawks.com/muzzleloading_bullets.htm
you are both somewhat right.

btw willy, nice shot of those accelerator rounds ;D

eric

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
by definition
3. A lightweight carrier in which a projectile of a smaller caliber is centered so as to permit firing the projectile within a larger-caliber weapon. The carrier fills the bore of the weapon from which the projectile is fired; it is normally discarded a short distance from the muzzle.

so the pics danny posted may or may not be sabot's (pronounced say-bow) it would depend on his states fish and game regualtions

some would classify dannys as sabots and others would just say that plastic on the end is a gas check

eric

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
extra wadding or more efficient wadding. thats what i think it is. all the sabots ive seen an used reduce the bullet from the bore size to a lesser size

·
Premium Member
6,334 Posts
A .50 cal conical bullet will allow greater range than round ball and is not a sabot. They are very heavy and make it kick bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts