Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
...need to seal the splines on my 203 and 205 yokes so the gear oil doesn't try to invade the rubber star washer - just want legit additional insurance against leaks. I don't care if I 'glue' the yokes to the shafts together so long as it isn't thread locker - I can pry 'em back apart if/when necessary, but if it seals 100% then booyah. SO many possibilities...but probably some more bonafide than others. Here's what I am considering:

Permatex 59235 High Temp Thread Sealant w/ PTFE

Permatex Anaerobic sealant 51813

Permatex Sleeve Retainer 64000 (recommended by the Permatex tech, but of course the Amazon Q/A said NO!...)

Permatex #2

or...regular RTV black, grey, etc...

Does anyone have actual real world experience using something that indeed sealed their yoke splines? I've read a lot of "just use black RTV" but no follow-up with how well it actually works. I need more than "just do it"....

Thaaaaanks,
- Sam

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
IIRC, the manual for the getrag (2wd) says to use anaerobic type sealant on the yoke.

Reactions: Mad Max

·
Super Moderator
13,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so that's two 'affirmatives' - anyone have any nay's? :)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I use RTV and its always worked, may not be the "best" for the application. Anaerobic would release easier in the future though. I would NOT use sleeve retainer, at work we had a guy use that on a bearing race and I could not remove it for anything!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts