Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK

Can an msd ignition be used without the ecu & ballast resistor??

I am considering the msd 6al, with a msd distributor and the adj timing control .

I don't want to have to deal with the ecu & ballast resistor

advice ??

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
What thaxton said-I just installed one and love it. The instructions are right on and it is very simple to hook up. Check summit for it-I paid 150 for a new one. That is 50 dollars cheaper than autozone.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I did the same thing by following the instructions with the unit. I got mine from Summit as well.

Good Luck!

G

·
You will love it. I've had an MSD 6A for more than three years now and not a single problem from it. Just remember to re-gap the plugs a little wider and mount the box as far away from the headers as possible.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Been running my 6AL for 4 years with no problems and love it as well.

Very easy install, just make sure the small gauge red wire to the MSD (switched 12 volt MSD "on" wire) has power in both the "run" AND "start" key positions.

ECU and Ballast go bye-bye. :) (Though you can leave them in place for a backup ignition should the MSD ever fail, however unlikely).

-SM

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I don't know what the difference is accept the offroad version is a sealed unit. I placed my msd in the cab. The wires were long enough so I do not have to worry about water and dirt

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Why would you run it thru the ecu and the ballast, the off-road version is just rubber vibration mounts and water proof or resistant, better off with the marine version if you are thinking about submerging it

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
the offroad version has problems, there have been multiple failures, call msds tech dept and ask them, they will tell ya, stay with a 6a or 6al and your in good shape

G

·
mrpeal said:
the offroad version has problems, there have been multiple failures, call msds tech dept and ask them, they will tell ya, stay with a 6a or 6al and your in good shape
Well I thought the only difference with the offraod is that it is completely epoxy sealed, maybe that doesnt allow it to breathe as well , and heat kills electronic components. I have the 6AL and I have the shock mounts and it works fine.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
KThaxton said:
Evildriver-3 said:
Why would you run it thru the ecu and the ballast,
My guess is that he didnt know, thats why he asked. He hasn't achieved know-it-all-ness yet.
Uh they come with directions.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
now.....has it helped with mpg & driveability that anyone has noticed ??? I know it helps with starting and such....

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
don't know about MPG but the "bog" is gone on take off-zero hesitation and very responsive. At least that has been my experience with it. I also regapped the plugs from .035 to .045. I haven't been able to really drive it since-I have some steering issues to work out.

G

·
ramit87 said:
don't know about MPG but the "bog" is gone on take off-zero hesitation and very responsive. At least that has been my experience with it. I also regapped the plugs from .035 to .045. I haven't been able to really drive it since-I have some steering issues to work out.
Same here no hesitation now but no real improvement in mpg!

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
mileage improvements would be minimal but it is kinda like putting a new muffler on your truck and looking for more mpg. you tend to drive it differently with an upgrade, so like with a muffler your looking for the performance feel and in the process your actually driving it harder which would net less mpg or the same but if you drive it normal you might see a gain, however i would say no more than maby .5mpg. but that is just what i have seen on my trucks

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
FRIG IT !!!

Just ordered a 6AL, blaster 2 coil, and their adjustable timing control unit....It'll be here tomorrow (and still cheaper than getting it locally). I decided to forego the distributor for now, too pricey for the one I really need, and mine seem to be doing fine anyways. I mainly wanted better spark, and to get rid of the ecu/ballast resistor and the accompanying wiring.

I also ordered a secondary metering plate kit that allows me to use jets for the secondaries (without adding a metering block) and some off road needles/seats. Need these to get the carb right again for the new engine.

Now, any hints/tips for wiring this all up ???? the right way ?? The 1st time ??

Is .045" a good setting with the msd unit, or not ?

lol

1 - 20 of 63 Posts