Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a msd blaster 2 coil and 6a box for my 78 rc w/ 360. I was wondering if i should gap my plugs beyond .035? If I should, how much? Will I increase or decrease fuel mileage/ ponies?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
By all means, increase the gap. The MSD & coil are putting out more voltage for a better spark. If you do not increase the gap, the coil/ignition will only be sending as much voltage as it takes for the spark to jump the gap.

After much experimentation from everywhere between .035 and .065, I have found between .045 and .050 to give me the best plug coloring. Currenlty, I run .050" gap on my slant w/ MSD 6AL and blaster2 coil.

-SM

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Slanted_Mind said:
After much experimentation from everywhere between .035 and .065, I have found between .045 and .050 to give me the best plug coloring. Currenlty, I run .050" gap on my slant w/ MSD 6AL and blaster2 coil.
I agree. I have the same setup and .045 seems to be a good gap.

KT-
A larger voltage will jump a larger gap, even if the wire resistance is the same. But, a better set of wires (thicker insulation) is preferred to keep the juice from going astray.

·
29,382 Posts
AZ_Drummer said:
KT-
A larger voltage will jump a larger gap, even if the wire resistance is the same. But, a better set of wires (thicker insulation) is preferred to keep the juice from going astray.
True, there is a small advantage even with standard wires (thats why I said "not much beyond stock") but, a lot (not all) of the potential of the ignition and coil is wasted in stock wires.
With standard type wires, the more current your coil tries to push through, the more the resistence of the wire goes up.
Before I bought my Jacobs system, I talked to one of their techs and I asked him: "if I were to buy your system piece by piece (i.e. one item at a time), what should I buy first?" His response: "wires, definatly buy the wires first".

G

·
I agree with Kendall. If you still have the stock wires, stay with the 035 gap. Voltage will take the path of least resistance. Increasing the gap increases the resistance in the system. Any weakness (ie resistance) in the stock system will be magnified a hundred times over with the MSD. If you don't have the good wires, get them and then widen your plug gap to .050. I have the MSD 6A and the Blaster SS coil. Other than what I gained from the tune up, I didn't notice an increase in mileage, and there will not be an increase in hp. It does start, idle better, and accelerate a little smoother though.

·
29,382 Posts
KThaxton said:
PrimerGrey said:
I agree with Kendall.
Ahhhh! he is as wise as they say! ;D :p
After re-reading my post, I see how one could mis-interpret it to think I was being really cocky, instead of just kinda cocky. :-[ ;D
It should have read "Ahhhh! he (PrimerGrey, not myself) is as wise as they say" DOH!!! :p

·
Premium Member
6,973 Posts
KThaxton said:
KThaxton said:
PrimerGrey said:
I agree with Kendall.
Ahhhh! he is as wise as they say! ;D :p
After re-reading my post, I see how one could mis-interpret it to think I was being really cocky, instead of just kinda cocky. :-[ ;D
It should have read "Ahhhh! he (PrimerGrey, not myself) is as wise as they say" DOH!!! :p
KT - Whateverrr -

But I do agree with your following quote

Posted by: KThaxton Posted on: March 19, 2004, 07:35:04 PM

Quote from: AZ_Drummer on March 19, 2004, 07:16:42 PM:

KT-

True, there is a small advantage even with standard wires (thats why I said "not much beyond stock") but, a lot (not all) of the potential of the ignition and coil is wasted in stock wires.
With standard type wires, the more current your coil tries to push through, the more the resistence of the wire goes up.
Before I bought my Jacobs system, I talked to one of their techs and I asked him: "if I were to buy your system piece by piece (i.e. one item at a time), what should I buy first?" His response: "wires, definatly buy the wires first".

G

·
oldmanram said:
[
KT - Whateverrr -

But I do agree with your following quote

Posted by: KThaxton Posted on: March 19, 2004, 07:35:04 PM

Quote from: AZ_Drummer on March 19, 2004, 07:16:42 PM:

KT-

That's two of us agreed with Kendall. that will make him really cocky ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts