Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Driving the 92 MPFI to work one day, all is good at the start of the trip. When I get off the freeway and come to a stop the thing stops running. It will restart, but will not idle to save its life. It can be driven with two feet, but again will not idle. There are times when it is started in the morning where for the first 2-3 seconds it sounds like it is running fine then will not idle unless the rpms are kept up a bit, and then it sounds like it is missing.
I have done some basic tune up type stuff on it to eliminate some question marks like plugs, wires, cap, roter- no help.
I have checked the throttle position sensor and it checked out.
I checked the manifold absolute pressure sensor, and I think it is good. my book said that it should have "about 5 volts" I got 4.2 volts, not sure if that is to low or not.
I am thinking about checking the auto shut down relay, and perhaps check the o2 sensor and EGR valve( the last two to just eliminate things)
I have also checked the fuel pressure regulator and switched it out with one from the junkyard just to check- no results.

IS THERE SOMETHING SIMPLE THAT I AM NOT THINKING OF????

Any help would be great

·
Super Moderator
29,805 Posts
Could be the Idle Air Solenoid on the back of the throttle body. This is what controls incoming air while idleing.
Like 300 and Chump said, check the codes.

G

·
Sounds like a vacuum leak, and if so, the first place to look is the intake manifold belly pan gasket. These are prone to failure. When they do...instant vacuum leak. Get a flashlight, climb up on the engine, and look down into the throttle body. Shine the light so you can see through the throttle body to the inside of the manifold. See a little oil puddle on the intake's floor? If so, the gasket has blown and must be replaced. At least get this ruled out, as any of the other things already mentioned could also be the culprit.

·
Registered
178 Posts
do the key cycle test to narrow it down a little then go from there.my 92 mpfi also has a crank sensor and a cam sensor that i have recently had problems with.doing the key cycle test and having the help of the guys made it alot easier

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.