Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys...i have a 79 Trailduster, 360 4bbl...mopar performance cast aluminum valve covers. I cant get the drivers side valve cover on the head cause the brake booster is in the way. Is there a way to move the brake booster over an inch or two so i can use my nice valve covers? a body lift might solve this problem as well..but i'd like to avoid that if possible. The body bushings are pretty saggy, and i intend on replacing them very soon...but i dont see that giving enough clearance.

Currently i'm using some chrome ones that love to leak, they appear to be stock height and just barely clear. Here is a pic to better describe.

I've heard and seen these valve covers clear on pre 79 trucks, but those use a different booster bolt pattern or something right?

any input on this is much appreciated, i must rid my engine of the chrome, its really starting to bug me! :(

·
Registered
541 Posts
I don't care for body lifts myself. Two ways to fix this problem. Install booster/master off of 3/4 truck. This is the same setup the factory used in big-block rc/td. Or install booster/master from a 1 ton 4x4. This setup has a much larger bore master cylinder for the huge dana 60 calipers. Both should clear the small-block mp valve covers. I would install the 1 ton 4x4 setup myself. One other thing to remember is the brake pedals changed a little in the early 80's probably 81. I think mopar4x has the 1 ton 4x4 setup on his rc shown with the engine pics. I think autozone had a rebuilt booster for a decent price. I'll be swapping from the stock 440 one to the 1 ton 4x4 fairly soon. I could possibly measure the extra clearance on a smallblock with the 1 ton 4x4 booster. I'll check later to make sure. Good luck, Mike

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Exactly. The diameter of the booster diaphragm is much smaller on the "Big Block Brake Boosters" (and the others td440 mentioned) gives you "lots" of extra space to work.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sweet, thanks for the info guys. I'll go out and get me a 1 ton booster and get it swapped out ;D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts