Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The amount of weight that the overdrive has to handle is pretty extreme- is this what people are doing? The transfer case came off a gasser 360x727 3 speed, which had a cast iron pedestal mount to tie to the crossmember. Not only will I not have a pedestal mount, but everything forward of the transfer case is aluminum and looks like it’s not up to the task. What kind of options are out there?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
oddly the heavy 205 behind the 727 in my '93 1 ton doesn't have the little bracket the 241 behind the 518 in my '93 3/4 does . I was tempted to fab a brace from the trans to the transfer when I saw that . I would not support the transfer separately , allow them to move together on the trans rubbers ... 

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The NP205 mounts just fine the way it was intended from the factory.  I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having issue breaking overdrive units or tailshaft adaptors except when people decide to start adding mounts to the transfer case that keep it, the engine and transmission from moving on the normal tripod mount arrangement.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I agree, don’t brave the tcase seperate, it will break the housing at the trans as they try to move seperate.  I believe jungle made some sort of mount on his RC build....maybe check that out

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
Elwenil said:
The NP205 mounts just fine the way it was intended from the factory. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having issue breaking overdrive units or tailshaft adaptors except when people decide to start adding mounts to the transfer case that keep it, the engine and transmission from moving on the normal tripod mount arrangement.
I had the 3 top mating bolts snap on my 93 CTD 205. :-\

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
mopar65pa said:
I had the 3 top mating bolts snap on my 93 CTD 205. :-\
Fuses. ;D

·
Registered
13,500 Posts

·
Registered
52,878 Posts
Elwenil said:
Ha Ha yeah right. I lock-tightened them in and the top 3 snapped off and the bottom 3 were lose. it was about to twist roight off the back of the trans had I pulled my trailer. I was getting this strange vibration so I was looking at U-joints first then saw that the seal between the t-case and trans was leaking. checked the botls and the bottome 3 were loose and the top 3 were snapped off. I pull the t-case and the top 3 were snapped off in the t-case. I got 2 out with and eazy-out but I had to drill the 3rd one out and re-tap the t-case. Needless to say I EXTRA RED lock-tightened all of them back in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay, there is a pad to mount a tranny mount to the bottom of the overdrive, but I’d have to fab a tower to reach the crossmember. Or, does the transfer case need an adapter between the overdrive which might have a tower already built onto it? There is an adapter on eBay which looks like a ring that’s about an inch or so thick, which comes with a 23 spline coupler- but my output shaft and coupler are already the right length and it doesn’t look like I’d be gaining anything by using the adapter, because it doesn’t have a pedestal mount either. The 727 had a cast iron pedestal mount where the overdrive would normally be, and I do not have any CTD automatic 4WD trucks to copy off of- and the factory manual doesn’t show this particular installation. So, do I need an adapter or will it be okay to bolt the transfercase directly to the overdrive with no adapter, as long as I do not try to mount the transfercase to another type of mount?

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
I don't recall any 4WD 727 ever using a cast steel tail housing. All I have ever seen is aluminum. The NP435 does use a cast steel tail housing. If you have a factory crossmember, you shouldn't need anything other than the mounts to put it together.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
please post a photo of your trans tail , and the front of transfer ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Third pic is the factory 727 4wd Mount- and it is cast aluminum. It’s is pretty thick so I’m sure it’ll take some punishment. The bolt pattern on the bottom of the overdrive is just like a 2wd Mount, so unless I have a small tower to make up the difference, I’ll have to fab something up.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
You need the mount brackets that go with that transmission. All except #38, which is not used with the NP205.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah- the one pic that I don’t have- thanks for this!!

·
Administrator
62,294 Posts
dodge82273 said:
oddly the heavy 205 behind the 727 in my '93 1 ton doesn't have the little bracket the 241 behind the 518 in my '93 3/4 does . I was tempted to fab a brace from the trans to the transfer when I saw that . I would not support the transfer separately , allow them to move together on the trans rubbers ...
I have seen a few 241's shattered at the low range section. The thing they all had in common, was the extra bracket was not reinstalled after reinstalling the transfer. That 2.71n low range puts lots of stress on the case. The NP205 has a better case, and less low range gearing.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.