Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My truck needs new main seals, so im told, how diffcult are these to change and is there like a quick short term fix to this problem.

·
7,250 Posts
If your rear main seal is leaking there is no short term fix for it. Same for the timing chain cover seal, which some people call a front main seal. Neither seal is that easy to change. I am not going to go into procedures here but it is an all day job to do both unless you have a lift available to you.

Chris

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
The timing cover seal is easy to change its just the fact that the front of the motor needs taken apart to get the cover off. Wash your motor and see if you can tell if its leaking. If you took it to a shop and dont know much about changing them than get a Repair manual. They help alot

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no lift  :'(  do i have to pull my motor to get at the rear one, i have to get a game plan going pretty soon here. i just don't want to run in pearl handles blazing. wat kinda manuals are the best, i have a hynes, which pretty much has no deatil on this job.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Haynes and Chilton are about the same.  Haynes usually details things just a hair more than Chilton and tends to include wiring diagrams more often.  They're ok if you know what you're doing and just need some Torque Specs, ect

An FSM (Factory Service Manual) is where it's at. It's the holy grail of repair manuals.  Dodgeboys sells them, he has a Vendor's Board/Section right here on RCC.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Why would you need a lift? I swapped the bottom end Bearings in my 78 2wd 3/4 ton. Had to jack the motor up to get the pan off but thats not a big deal to do. Have you ever worked on a vehicle before?  He's correct Service manuals are pretty sweet. I got one with an 86 Shortbox PW I recently bought to make a 70s stepside out of for the wife. Came with rockers too. I havent worked on a 4wd Myself but most of it is the same other than the obvious. Have you looked at the front cover to see if its leaking?

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Hybrid 1ton said:
440 rear main seal can be replaced in about half an hour.

1 more reason to get a big block :)
So can a 360 Rear Main, provided the old seal comes out without a problem....i wasn't that lucky :p

I dropped the pan (came out with ease), removed the rear main cap and the seal refused to come out, it ended up packing in. So i loosened all the caps and dropped the crank down a bit and got the Seal out that way.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
ChrisKD said:
So can a 360 Rear Main, provided the old seal comes out without a problem....i wasn't that lucky :p

I dropped the pan (came out with ease), removed the rear main cap and the seal refused to come out, it ended up packing in. So i loosened all the caps and dropped the crank down a bit and got the Seal out that way.
Did you try having someone rotate the crank while you tried to push it out in the same direction?

·
29,540 Posts
As well practiced as I am, I can't do it on my 360 in half an hour. Maybe 2 hours, but I never work fast.  ;)

·
7,250 Posts
KThaxton said:
As well practiced as I am, I can't do it on my 360 in half an hour. Maybe 2 hours, but I never work fast. ;)
Hybrid 1ton said:
That sort of thing happens with age.
KThaxton said:
It comes with being a lazy ass. :p
I have the same problem. I let people say it comes from being lazy, because it is, but I tell them it is because I am being careful :p

Chris

·
Registered
70 Posts
Some front seals can be replaced from the front (like my 84').  Others, you have to take off the timing chain cover and put it in from the "inside".  I'm guessing there is a year cutoff for that, but I don't know what it is. You could eat up a couple hours from the front.  Better double it if you have to do it the hard way.

I replaced the rear seal in my 77'.  It involved loosening the mounts, raising the engine with a jack, pulling the pan, removing the oil pump and rear bearing cap, pulling out the old seal, pushing in the new one, and reassemble.

I probably spent more time cleaning gasket surfaces, reading the manual, and second guessing myself than I actually did turning a wrench.  Still, I managed to eat up a whole Saturday working at my rather maticulous "careful" easy pace.

I bet a determined and well organized amature with a reasonable amount of skill could do it in 4 hours.

·
Registered
962 Posts
and if u have the rubber rear main make sure u oil it when u put it in so it dont burn up dry on first start up. and also make sure it goes in the right way if u look the seal has like a liitle fin kinda thing on the top and it has to go a spacific way so it holds in the oil

·
Registered
16 Posts
And which way is correct?  I am doing this right now and I need to know which way the rubber seal is meant to go in.  Flat side of the fin toward the back or front? Anyone????

·
Registered
102 Posts
grassmaster1 said:
And which way is correct? I am doing this right now and I need to know which way the rubber seal is meant to go in. Flat side of the fin toward the back or front? Anyone????
Your question was answered in your thread.

The seal goes in taper toward the crank the larger square side toward the tranny.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
good time to put a pump in and check the bearings...if you take the timing cover off also put a timing chain in if it's never been done

1 - 19 of 19 Posts