Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HAS ANYBODY UPGRADED THEIR MOTHERBOARD? I AM GOING TO BE DOING THIS IN A COUPLE OF MONTHS AND I'VE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE. WHAT KIND OF ISSUES/PROBLEMS SHOULD I BE AWARE OF WHEN I START THIS?

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
There is the whole compatibility issue. But I'm sure you already knew that. Is it just the motherboard you are upgrading? Or the proccessor/memory too?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is somewhat petty, but the whole reason I am upgrading to a faster motherboard is because there is an ATI graphics card that I want really bad, :p but it isn't compatible with my current motherboard (PCI vs. AGP). Plus, I want to get a higher bus speed. I will, in the process, upgrade the CPU also. I am running 320mb of memory right now, and would like to transfer it to the new motherboard. Hardrive and all I/O drives and other hardware will also be transferred.

·
Registered
8,934 Posts
There really isn't much in swapping it out. You just have to be careful of all the little screws and of static. Scatic electricity can fry all that stuff. Go to a computer store and get a static band.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
pearljoejam said:
Plus, I want to get a higher bus speed. I will, in the process, upgrade the CPU also. I am running 320mb of memory right now, and would like to transfer it to the new motherboard.
I'd say, if you want to upgrade to a higher bus speed, you will need new memory as well to take advantage of this new speed. Or to put it in other words: RAM for 66MHz will get fried, when you clock it with 100 or more MHz, if it even works and does anything.
You might be able to clock down the speed of the bus, but why would you want to do this? :)

·
Registered
306 Posts
pearljoejam said:
This is somewhat petty, but the whole reason I am upgrading to a faster motherboard is because there is an ATI graphics card that I want really bad, :p but it isn't compatible with my current motherboard (PCI vs. AGP). Plus, I want to get a higher bus speed. I will, in the process, upgrade the CPU also. I am running 320mb of memory right now, and would like to transfer it to the new motherboard. Hardrive and all I/O drives and other hardware will also be transferred.
Im assuming that this ATI card you want is radeon 9700pro? If so it is a kick ass card, but any CPU with under 2.5 ghz will bottleneck it. As for swapping the mobo, if you have a dell, gateway or any of those manufactured PC's the case, mobo, and power supply will all be proprietary (this means you cant swap them out for a new part) the big companys do this to discourage upgrading and encourage buying new PC's. so be sure you factor in the cost of a case/psu into your budget. Then if your upgrading your mobo your going to have a difficult time finding a good mobo that supports SDRAM and a newer CPU. If you choose to go the AMD root and dont want to upgrade your RAM, you should look at the ECS K7S5A(great mobo). But i would highly suggest buying 512 or so mb's of DDR. Maybe you should distribute your money more evenly instead of blowing it all on the 9700 (about $350 currently). I think it would be better for you to buy a cpu/mobo/DDR and a Geforce4 TI4400 for around the same price or a little more. There are just too many bottlenecks in the upgrade you described to warrant buying the 9700.

BTW, what games do you play currently that require the 9700?
-Thats right, none, because there are no games that can use the 9700 to its full capacity yet. And there dosent seem to be any on the horizon for the next year at least. Maybe you should spend your money a little better.

-Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts