Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently poured my heart and soul (and entire bank account ) into a 318 to 360 swap and have been tinkering with it frequently trying to find a way to feel the difference... I just can't tell a difference between my old 318 and my brand new 360 even with all the edelbrock, B&M, and aftermarket parts that supposedly increase power...

I just can't see the difference. The old school 318 was flat tappet, the new 360 is also flat tappet...

can I buy magnum heads and use them with this flat tappet design? Or is that my ultimate mistake... not investing in a roller... how the hell do I ever justify doing this again if I can't find a power performance increase... AAAHHHHHHH, I need more power, and aside from magnum heads, and a MSD6... I dunno where I'm gonna find the power.

I'm so upset...

Chief

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
When you say brand new, do you mean that the 360 needs to break in?

There can be a few reasons you're not feeling a difference. Normally it takes time to dial in a new engine and get it running to perfection, it can also be that you didn't select aftermarket parts that work well together. I would suggest a few options. Give a call to any good engine builders into performance and ask their opinion on your combination of aftermarket parts, check into having them tune the engine for power and also call the tech lines for the aftermarket products you purchased. Although they may try to sell you other products, you need to get an idea of what works with what their products.

Ed

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's just that I thought the power increase would be significant and noticeable immediately after I fired the engine and got the timing right.... maybe the transmission still needs a tweek... maybe I need a new ignition... I dunno... just feels about the same.... no big whoop...
Chief

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Tell us the specs on your 360. cam, intake, carb and compression, stuff like that. Was the cam degreed in? There is a tremendous difference between 318's and 360's in power.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
my 360 feels like its getting more power every day....just turned over 1000 miles on it

G

·
You can swap the Magnum heads onto your engine with associated hardware, but your Edelbrock intake will not fit them, so you'd have to wait for an Edelbrock unit, which is still in R&D at this point, or get the Mopar M1 intake. However, if what you already have isn't working right, it might turn into an even bigger dog with the Magnum heads. You never know til you get the basic package working properly. An alternative would be to get your 360 heads reworked with some good porting and blending. You'll get almost what the Magnums would give, and you won't need to get Magnum rockers/pushrods/intake manifold. Get that carb checked for proper tune. They tend to ship a bit lean for Mopars if it's an Edelbrock AFB/AVS clone. Definitely update the ignition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.