Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently doing some upgrades on my steering system and I want to revisit the subject of crossover steering.

#1: Can it be done on my 93 3/4 ton D60 front setup?

#2 What exactly is the advantage of crossover steering?

#3 For a truck that stays on road most of the time, drag races, and does truck pulls, would it be any kind of advantage or be worth the cost of the system for daily driving and occasional offroading?

Thanks.

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
Cummin said:
#1: Can it be done on my 93 3/4 ton D60 front setup?
Yes, see the Dana 60 crossover steering how to

Cummin said:
#2 What exactly is the advantage of crossover steering?
Eliminates bumpsteer normally caused by larger then stock tires.

Cummin said:
#3 For a truck that stays on road most of the time, drag races, and does truck pulls, would it be any kind of advantage or be worth the cost of the system for daily driving and occasional offroading?
If you have bumpsteer then yes. Plus it looks cool :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry, (dumb college kid)... what is "bumpsteer"?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry again, too much beer or too much studying (maybe both??? :D ) I can't find that how too on crossover... where is it at?

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
bumpsteer is when you hit a bump or pothole and your truck jumps over into the other lane. Sometimes it happens without even hitting a bump.

Look way up at the top of the page. Click on How To. Then scroll down till you find the right crossover steering howto.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Even if you avoid potholes, bumpsteer will get you if you drive through a puddle at 30 mph...bad mojo it is since here in Fla we have 10 foot ditches on the side of the road.

·
Founder
25,730 Posts
timdog said:
Even if you avoid potholes, bumpsteer will get you if you drive through a puddle at 30 mph...bad mojo it is since here in Fla we have 10 foot ditches on the side of the road.
actually that is hydro steer, or hydroplaning

·
Registered
39 Posts
bumpsteer is when the steering is changed when the suspension cycles
your draglink is very short in stock front to back steering
when you hit a bump the leaf springs compress and move upward and rearward due to them being solidly mounted in the front
your drag link cannot move rearward, and when it moves up it's effective length most likely shortens
combine those and you get a steering input to the left on compression without the driver input
a la 'bumpsteer', the bump did the steering
going crossover will change your bumpsteer but cannot eliminate it, not much can eliminate it
with cross over you will get a drag link that is 34ish inches long vs the stock one that is about 12 inches
basically for an inch of travel at the end of the link the effective length changes much less the longer the link
do the math on radius of 12 vs radius of 34
I recently completed my 91 dodge sourced 60 front crossover
much improved steering IMO

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.