Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you who have had trouble removing a starter, here's a pic of the busted (easy starter removal myth) starter in a 1990 bell housing. The second picture shows the bell housing after I pried and beat the end of the starter out of the hole.

-------

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,716 Posts
I never had one stick.  {noclue}
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mopar65pa said:
I never had one stick. {noclue}
I never had one stick till this one. It was on an extra motor in storage. I decided to use the starter but didn't get it all out. Stupid starter wasn't any good anyway. However, other guys have had a problem.

This truck had sat in a pasture for a year or two without a front clip. He had a tarp over the engine but nothing was keeping rain from dripping down on the bell housing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,716 Posts
All my starters are in the shed.  ;D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, but if you get a chance to buy another 360 with a complete wiring harness for $100 or so, you end up with what you get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52,716 Posts
I learned the hard way to keep things covered.  ;)
 

·
Moderator
2013 Ram 1500 2014 Challenger SXT
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
I attempted to remove the starter from my 97 for about 2 weeks and gave up.
When it goes I think the local shop will get the job. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
pb blaster or another such penetration lube would have  prolly save your religion and many headaches
 

·
Moderator
2013 Ram 1500 2014 Challenger SXT
Joined
·
2,273 Posts
madd_hatter_rc1979 said:
pb blaster or another such penetration lube would have prolly save your religion and many headaches
Tried 3 different penetrating oils, heat and as big a BFH as I could fit in there.
Didn't budge and I quit before I got to breaking it. (It does seem to start better now ;D ;D)
 
G

·
;D Is that blood on the white object in the second pic?  Never had one stick either, but water/corrosion is not much of a problem here. I guess some anti-seize on the snout would be a good idea.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
lugnuts said:
;D Is that blood on the white object in the second pic? Never had one stick either, but water/corrosion is not much of a problem here. I guess some anti-seize on the snout would be a good idea.
I don't know what that is but I didn't draw any blood THAT DAY.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
pir2 said:
Tried 3 different penetrating oils, heat and as big a BFH as I could fit in there.
Didn't budge and I quit before I got to breaking it. (It does seem to start better now ;D ;D)
YOWZA!!!... maybe the anti sieze wouldnt be such a bad idea... will try to remeber that next time i pull the starter...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,302 Posts
That's a good advise! Next time i pull my trucks starter i'll add some anti seize on it's nose.
Though it came out quite nice after the pump seal blew  ;D
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top