Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never had one of the fuel:air gauges and wondering if they are accurate, useful, and worth the investment as an alternative to monitoring the spark plugs by visual inspection. I'm thinking it might be an easier and more accurate way rather than pull spark plugs around the headers which I would still do on occasion but perhaps less often. I haven't checked yet but I think I might have a lean condition and that's what caused my headers to split where the primaries are welded together. Or is it a waste of money?
I saw where a guy made one from a gauge and he attached the O2 sensor to a long rod that he would insert into the exhaust. I would probably just install the gauge.

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
I would guess you need an O2 sensor to run the gauge. Probably a wide band.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Comrade, yea I think I might try it out and see how it goes. I don't know how accurate they are but I suppose worse case scenario is I could establish a baseline and try to keep it around there. Another trick I saw other than the "sensor on a stick" I mentioned in my first post is a guy who was using just the sensor with a multimeter attached and ran through the cab and he would read the ohms (I think) for a target range..not sure how accurate that method is but it was interesting. 

·
Registered
6,346 Posts
  An O2 sensor produces a small amount of voltage once it is hot. It measures the difference between the available O2 in the exhaust vs the atmospheric O2. That voltage gives you an indication if you are running lean or rich. There is a heater on the O2 sensor to get it warm enough to work.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Kurt. I would have never anticipated going through all that to install a gauge. Sorry-complete novice here on the air:fuel gauge...is it helpful, accurate? What I'm going for is an accurate way to keep tabs on mixture for optimum performance and mileage but even more so to keep from damaging my motor and components. Is it a worthy investment for this?
One day I might upgrade to fuel injection.
Here's the one I will be purchasing. It has the controller built in and comes with the harness that should make the installation easier. It also comes with the sensor (Bosch LSU 4.9). It's on sale at 190..not cheap by any means but does come with everything needed.

https://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR-AFWB-09/1/Standalone-Air-Fuel-Wideband-O2-gauge-8-5-18-(w--warning)

KurtfromLaQuinta said:

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
flyfish said:
Thanks Kurt. I would have never anticipated going through all that to install a gauge. Sorry-complete novice here on the air:fuel gauge...is it helpful, accurate? What I'm going for is an accurate way to keep tabs on mixture for optimum performance and mileage but even more so to keep from damaging my motor and components. Is it a worthy investment for this?
One day I might upgrade to fuel injection.
Here's the one I will be purchasing. It has the controller built in and comes with the harness that should make the installation easier. It also comes with the sensor (Bosch LSU 4.9). It's on sale at 190..not cheap by any means but does come with everything needed.

https://www.speedhut.com/gauge/GR-AFWB-09/1/Standalone-Air-Fuel-Wideband-O2-gauge-8-5-18-(w--warning)
The problems I had were because the place I got the gauge from wasn't clear on what type of O2 sensor to use. I was running a Narrow Band sensor before... so getting the correct wideband sensor was the main issue.
They are real simple to wire... you just need to know which one goes where.
I don't think you need to spend the extra money for the "controller". If you went my route, all you need is a gauge and the right O2 sensor (wideband). Cheaper deal. You also need the bung that needs to be welded into the exhaust. Typically closest to the engine- header collector.
It's accurate for sure. And I doubt your that far off your mix to destroy your engine. That happens when your pushing a lot of horsepower and you encounter a lean condition. Think a Top Fuel engine going lean on a run. Or a nitrous set up causing a sudden lean condition. I don't think these are issue we would see on our trucks.
A/F Gauges will help tell you which way to go for tuning a carb correctly.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Kurt! That's just the info I was looking for  {cool}

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Aem's newest digital uego wideband air fuel ratio gauge controller is probably the best, it is the most accurate out there but comes with the bosch LSU 4.2

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
flyfish said:
Thanks Kurt! That's just the info I was looking for {cool}
Glad I could help a little.
Read my issue I had on my post there above... it'll steer you in the right direction.
In there I mentioned the 5 wire Bosch 17025 O2 sensor and the wires to go where they belong.
You really don't need the controller set up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.