Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Nice truck, especially the truck bed (y)

·
Registered
423 Posts
I have one in 4x4 diesel powered . The bed and fenders are tuff tonlocte nice in the rust belt . You havecwhat looks to be a nice ride , good Luck and keep the ole tin running

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got some hours into this bed, the truck came new with a fleet side but I have always liked the utiline. I had that changed before the engine ever went in.
I got this truck back in the middle 90s from the original owner as he was cleaning his yard of nonfunctioning vehicles.
It came from the factory as a 1986 d150, 318 auto. The truck had electrical/computer issues that he no longer cared to invest in. First thing I did to it was pull the engine trans and computer to clear the way for a new drivetrain.
This would be a 440, 833 4 speed and limited slip 9 1/4 rear axle. These and all the smaller factory made bits I needed for the conversion I was able to find out of a few local salvage yards from various mopar cars and trucks. The new parts I bought to fill in the gaps was lakewood bellhousing ,hays clutch, headers/pipes, weiand tunnel ram/Holleys, solid lifter crane cam / adjustable iron rockers.....and bla bla you get the idea.
The truck went together easy like it could have been made that way and served me well as a daily driver with simple maintenance till about 2005 when a rod let go and destroyed the block crank and camshaft. Since then the truck has been sitting.
Fast forward to present and my fast driving days with this truck are mostly behind me and I am going to slow it down some. This go around I will convert it to 4x4. I am still locating the needed parts which is proving to be more difficult then it was years ago.
What I have picked up so far is another 440. A 4 wheel drive frame for parts. A np445 transmission with a married 203 transfer case. I plan to find a dodge or chevy 205 to assemble a doubler. Also still looking for the dana 60 axles. If I can get these missing larger parts in my posession the body will come off and I will be under way.
I have been a mopar guy since the late 70s that took a liking to 440s and hemis with manual transmissions. 68 barracudas to be specific. We all get older along with our toys. The mopar bug never goes away so this will be my first 4x4 build of this kind. I have had dodge 4x4s in the past that I really liked, they were 1940s flat fender power wagons and a 1954 m37.
I am open to suggestions on my build as I don't have all the details worked out at this time.
Thanks for the nice comments about my old dodge. It may not be so pretty anymore but I feel it still has the potential. I have never been able to let it go over the years.

·
Premium Member
4,777 Posts
Cool truck and story. Congrats on finding an np445, should be a cool ride with the equipment you're putting in it. All the cool things that you could get in these rigs over the years!
Eric

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
I said it once... I'll say it twice... nice truck.
If you do any sorts of semi- serious off roading... you may want to reconsider the side pipes.
Or you could leave them and they will be removed automatically. ☺

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I said it once... I'll say it twice... nice truck.
If you do any sorts of semi- serious off roading... you may want to reconsider the side pipes.
Or you could leave them and they will be removed automatically. ☺
Yes the pipe's. As you can tell when I put this truck together years ago being off road wasn't in the plan. I basically turned it into my own version of a muscle car and drove it as such.
skip forward 25 years and now I find myself needing a off road truck and have no more need for the hot rod.
My new plan for this truck is to be a tow behind to destination type, 99% off road use for blm dispersed camping. I have not been on any blm land yet(none in my area) but I understand there can be at best bad to no roads. I would like to use this truck as a scout and a general knock around vehicle while camp is set up.
So with this in mind I do not intend to do any extreme tear up the truck type sports just looking to be able to crawl around in some places where even some 4wds wouldn't go. My old m37 was a champ at this but was coarse without a top, heat, useful wipers or any real road usefulness at all when talking top speed.
This is something that I wanted to do since I was young but jobs marriage life just wouldn't accommodate. Now at nearly 60 it's just me and my dog itchy. The only thing stopping me is me not getting a couple vehicles prepped.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
I like the hood & the slot wheels!

Bucky

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Yes the pipe's. As you can tell when I put this truck together years ago being off road wasn't in the plan. I basically turned it into my own version of a muscle car and drove it as such.
skip forward 25 years and now I find myself needing a off road truck and have no more need for the hot rod.
Why not have both?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Raisin bran hood...
Cool video, man I love your truck. Only hope mine will turn out so well. I am really worried about breaking drivetrain. My only real experience is with barracudas and I had a learning curve to get them to stay together on slicks. This dodge d150 was easy to keep together on the street even with the 9 1/4. I didn't drive it nice. But this truck is going to be getting heavier. To say I have my doubts is stating it mildly. I am going with the dana 60s and 35 spline power locks and outer stubs. U bolt yokes. Guess we will see.

·
Registered
'79 Dodge Power Wagon Macho
4,165 Posts

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The hood looks so good... would love to see more pictures of that
Sleeve Font Rectangle Technology Auto part

·
Registered
570 Posts
View attachment 621273
Pretty sure USBODY is out of business.... site still lists copyrights from 2012. Didn't try calling them but their site doesn't support actually buying parts anymore when you try too. But they do provide good pictures.

Neil

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Pretty sure USBODY is out of business.... site still lists copyrights from 2012. Didn't try calling them but their site doesn't support actually buying parts anymore when you try too. But they do provide good pictures.

Neil
Didn't know that. I just have their site bookmarked.

EDIT: I made it all the way to the point they wanted my card info for payment.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The hood looks so good... would love to see more pictures of that
This hood is a homebuilt steel hood made from the original truck hood with the center cut out and the outer skin from a 70 challenger cut down to fit and welded in. The challenger hood was damaged and removed from a freinds parts car. Kind of a weekend no money all labor type project.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts