Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Rammers,

My 88 RC has continued to show that the oil gauge dominates the state of the car: when it is low, the engine stuters. Occasionally, it when I take left turns the gauge now shifts to the high side. I just had the throttle body cleaned and the oil gauge seemed sane, but now has gone back to the crazy side.
Anybody have any ideas?
182,500 miles on a wonderful working engine
Thanks,
UGARAM

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
On smooth stops, the engine will fail, then when kicked back up in nuetral, it starts right up. Since the unstable movement of the oil pressure gauge, I have lost a large quantity of gas quickly. Any ideas?
Thanks for your time,
MC

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Check your oil level...is it high? Smell the oil, if it smells like gas, STOP DRIVING IT.

If gas smells present in the oil, change the oil. Immediately. Then check your fuel pump, the diaphragm is likely ruptured.

-SM

·
Registered
196 Posts
Do you have a "low oil pressure stop switch"? I know I have one in my 85, it's by the oil sending unit in back next to the firewall. Just a thought since your oil pressure fluctuates with the level of your oil. Maybe it's clogged up in that area of your engine?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the oil changed in the last month, but I'll give her a smell either way. Also, I recently had a new fuel pump installed. Felt like it worked wonders, but might have like said, " busted diaphram". Thanks for the words, keep them coming.
Will update on conditions as soon as I drive her home tonight. Wish much luck
UGARAM

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
88 has the in tank pump, so that can't be it. 87 and earlier had the mechanical pump on the side of the timing cover, which if the diaphragm ruptured, it let gas pour straight down into the crankcase.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
TaZMaNiaK said:
88 has the in tank pump, so that can't be it. 87 and earlier had the mechanical pump on the side of the timing cover, which if the diaphragm ruptured, it let gas pour straight down into the crankcase.
Whoops! Good catch Taz. {blush}

Disregard my above comments UGA...not possible.

Out of curiosity, does your voltmeter fluctuate at the same times your oil pressure gauge does?

-SM

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No SM, the battery gauge stays constant throughout. When I just pulled in for the night, the needle was low on the oil pressure gauge, and when in drive, the RC just fizzled and died. I know she will crank back up, but now the pressure does not change or increase when I accelerate.
Thanks for your time,
UGARAM
Keep um coming

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
UGARAM said:
No SM, the battery gauge stays constant throughout. When I just pulled in for the night, the needle was low on the oil pressure gauge, and when in drive, the RC just fizzled and died. I know she will crank back up, but now the pressure does not change or increase when I accelerate.
Thanks for your time,
UGARAM
Keep um coming
pull the computer fail codes. may be a sensor bad that is used by the computer. (coolant temp, air temp, vac sensor, throttle pos sensor, ect.hope this helps --sheriff--

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
I am assuming this is a stock guage. I would stick an mechanical aftermarket guage on it so you know what the oil pressure really is. You could have a bad sending unit as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts