Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still committed to Utah in Oct. This will be my first long distance wheeling trip, and right now the trip would surely be a nightmare.
So.......
Using this as an excuse, I've set upon a mission.

Today the old spark computer got the axe and in went the ole standard MP perf. conversion kit, w/ orange box. My carb was a world of trouble, so after a JY trip, I came back with a much better one, rebuilt it, and modified it for a vac advance port to run the dist.

The new locker is sitting on the bench to go in this weekend, and the 100 amp alt brackets could be here next week (just couldn't find them here at all).

The same JY trip yielded a decent 727 to freshen up, which will replace the tired one that's in there now.

BTW, the new Lincoln MIG welder is fresh out of the box as well. But wouldn't ya know, there was no ground cable at all!

Progress boys and girls!!!

Mike

·
Registered
943 Posts
Great to hear it, Mike!

Not to discourage you on your orange box, but you may want to pack a spare in your trail box! Our orange box went out on the Ramus with only 5,000 or so miles on it. GP put the original one back in and it starts like a champ every time!

I'm learning those performance parts aren't always what they're cracked up to be. ::)

I'm sure the rest of the gang that's going feels the same as I do...it will be great to finally meet you.

Keep those wrenches turnin'! 8)

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
My Moab to-dos on the Ramus:

Lengthen front driveshaft Done
Rear Ubolt flip
Rear shock mounts
Front shock mounts
Tcase skidplate
Dual battery tray Done
Front locker Done
Front axle Ujoints Done
Front brake rotors and pads Done

Also installed new wheel studs, and tie rod ends. Rebuilt the hubs, and put them together with new hardware.

That's probably enough....

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the locker's in and hot dawg does it wheel now or what! I do think I'll have to pull it back out and check the install though. I don't think the engineers had the 85-88 axles in mind when they made the locker. The 3 piece driver's side axleshaft won't fully seat in the knuckle and I clearanced the cross shaft to make up for the "extra" length. The locker works as it should, but it sounds aweful on very tight right hand turns.
I plan to pull the locker and see if I can run without the c-clip. Maybe that will help. I just don't want the inner shaft moving outboard when the shift fork moves the collar out (to the driver' side).
Mike

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
I've got about two more weeks of hard flying before I can take time to work on the Ramus. I should be able to knock out several of my project goals in a week or so...

At least I'll have the "must do's" done...battery tray and driveshaft, then the "easy to do's", ubolt flip and shock mounts, and hopefully the "nice to do's", locker and brakes.

Kinda wanted to adjust the bands in the 727 also....

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Just a quick comment on the MoPar Performance ignition modules. YES, they will go out on you even if they are fairly new. The reason is BAD GROUND!!!!
I have seen it time and time again. Screws driven into the holes on the module but no ground wire to insure a good ground. I had a buddy with a Charger call me to help him check figure his ignition problem out. He had just installed a orange box and it worked of 2 weeks.
First thing I did was check to see if it was grounded. A meter reading from the case to ground read OPEN. Wiggle the box around and the ground would make and break. He didn't put a wire on it, the instructions are very clear. It probably was grounded at first but vibrated loose and lost the ground, that will burn the box up in no time.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
So the locker install turned into a complete Dana 44 rebuild, as usual. It now has new rotors, ujoints, pads, seals, hubs rebuilt, new inner axle seals, and, oh yeah, a Lock-Right.

Now, I discover the tie-rod ends are junk, and they are some kind of one-off deal that somebody built back in 1972 or something.

Sigh. I'll go by (buy?) 4-Wheel supply tomorrow and see what they have.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GunPilot said:
So the locker install turned into a complete Dana 44 rebuild, as usual.
I hear ya. It seems to always go that way with our trucks.

My locker install has turned into a 3 week back and forth with the company president and an engineer. We are having fit and operation problems which seem to be due to the funky driver's side shaft (CAD axle). Lots of fun. The truck has actually spent another weekend on stands waiting on another part for a new trial this week. I'm beginning to feel like I should be on the payroll!!
Dodge...........different for sure!!!!!!

PS, their engineer actually designed the Lock-Right a few years back, and it's been enlightening hearing inside info.

Mike

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ramchargertodd said:
Yeah? Yeah?
What is the inside info??
Can you share?
Nothing interesting, just the ceramic tooling required to make the lockers, why some tolerances are so tight, etc.
No real top secret stuff for sure. I mean, I'm just another Joe to these guys too.

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
Well, it's sure an advantage having a Chevy axle in front. I can walk in, tell them what I need, and they put it in my hand. If it was a Dodge....

I like the way the 3/4 ton Chevy D44 is put together too. Real easy to work on, and no CAD stuff or double bearings.

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
I posted most of my "Moab Mod" pics here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts