Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, with out doubt, I'm going to have to install new wire through out my '71 Dodge W100 Sweptside in places. Learning for the first time how to read the schematic, I'm discovering mistakes. For example, look at circuit F1 16PE. It's just above the starter motor. There is no F1 16PE anywhere else in the schematic, lol! Then, if you find circuit L10 16BN in the headlamp switch, and look at the next picture being of the schematic legend, you'll note the color brown is identified as BR. And, so far, viewing the schematic for my cab lights, the title of the schematic is misspelled, lol! My service manual is: 1969-1971 Dodge Trucks Service Manual & Supplement.

Any of you find common mistakes in your service manual?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
It probably should be F1 16RE, as it's labeled up at the top of the pic.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
yeah , I'd sue them ... first they call it Pe then Re 

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dodge82273 said:
yeah , I'd sue them ... first they call it Pe then Re
Made me think about the PE for a minute when I first read it. First time'r learning, lol! I picked up on it pretty well, and traced it to the proper location. All good!

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
LOL  ;D ;D yes going from page to page , and thru connectors ( note the clips of the connectors to orientate the wires ) can be fun , I get a charge out of the colored pens ... the newer fsm's are a little different again , maybe easier , but takes yet another learning curve to get use to them .    You ought to see an '80's ford large truck manual's wire diagrams , then add factory custom built ones ! no rhyme or reason to the book at all , thumb thru pages ......

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm finding ( at least on paper ) that using the color pens to identify wires, and to follow their beginning to end rout locations is a huge help in understanding my Dodge truck's wiring diagram. All the black lines don't get lost and blend in together along the way with what ever wire I'm after. When I took my first look at the schematic, my eyes parted! The 3 engine schematics on the same page/schematic really threw me the curve at first.

It's fun, and exciting! There is a nice beginners guide to reading schematics at mymopar.com , that uses a '68 Chrysler Imperial that I just translate over to my truck schematic. My wife printed out a pdf download offered by the site, and I'll add it to my growing library of 1971 Dodge Truck manuals, lol!

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
tip : the numbers prefex's and such , can be followed , my eldest book is '84 in the first part of diagrams is a listing tells what circuits do what , called out by the prefex's ...

·
Administrator
62,277 Posts
I have a few times, scanned in the pages I need, then use the photo editor , highlight the wires for the circuit I need. Then print it out. That way I only have to look at the wire colors I need.

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
l know your a newbie when it comes to factory wiring diagrams , the reason your go,in cross eyed is because your ARE try,in to follow the lines instead of the "call outs" [ F1-16RE ] which if you know F1 stands for a major power circuit and the 16 is the wire SIZE and of coarse the RE is wire color RED , gonna use a analogy - its like driving to the store from your house 3 miles down Fred rd 2 miles over Jane St and a mile down Main St , thats 3 different directions , but you need to look at it as a straight line [ as the crow flies ] basically A to B by reading the call outs , it speeds up understanding of it , especially older and easier diagrams like your dealing with . l,ll have to check my manuals to see if the BN - BR typo is in there

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I bought a color coded wiring diagram online. It's also laminated so I can mark on it if needed. Found the mistake on it years ago and marked it correctly.
Many patented/copyrighted  images such as maps, wiring diagrams etc have at least one intentional minor mistake. That is how they protect the patent/copyright. They can prove in court that the item in question was copied as it has the same mistake(s) as the original.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fal308 said:
I bought a color coded wiring diagram online. It's also laminated so I can mark on it if needed. Found the mistake on it years ago and marked it correctly.
Many patented/copyrighted images such as maps, wiring diagrams etc have at least one intentional minor mistake. That is how they protect the patent/copyright. They can prove in court that the item in question was copied as it has the same mistake(s) as the original.
That's new to me, lol! Makes sense now that you make mention of the mistake theory. My service manual is a licensed reprint.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.