Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there production numbers available for 70's dodge military trucks like my 75 w200 u.s.a.f. truck? I'm interested to see how many were made like mine for the military and also, where it was used, for what, and when it was released from service.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know, but I'd be interested in that info also...

My Dad has a '77 W200 M884 that I'd like to have more info on. This will give you a bump, anyway! :)

JS

·
Premium Member
7,258 Posts
You can start by decoding the VIN, this will tell you basic info about your particular truck. However you won't find anything particulary interesting about it.

Information about the M880 is hard to come by, and I haven't found out how many M880s were ordered by the military for fiscal year 1975.

What I can tell you is, Dodge recieved the contract to produce M880s to replace aging fleets of Kaiser built M715s, and older vintage WW2 & Vietnam era Power Wagons.

Unlike the previous vehicles, which were designed as military vehicles or heavily modified civilian vehicles, The military decided that they could save money by ordering an off the shelf civilian or a commercially available truck and add some standard military equipment.
The M880 is therefore just a basic bare bones production W200, but with black-out lamps and olive drab or camoflage paint.

The M880 was never intened to be used in combat, therefore the role of most M880s were typically used in the rear echelon as supply or security vehicles, and were often part of motor pool fleets. Exceptions of course did exist and some M880 family vehicles were specialized such as the M886/M893 Ambulance or M888 Telephone Maintenance Truck.

All M880s were procured thru the DOD, There were no real differences between M880s of any of the military branches, therefore throughout each branch of service, the M880s were uniformly the same. Very few M880s were uniquely spec'ed other than the specialized vehicles. (The M886 Ambulance, for example, were offered in either a 2wd or 4wd version)
Local mods to some of the M880s may have occured as required by their use, but nothing was standardized.

Identifying their use and release date is difficult. Depending on which branch of service the vehicle came from, each service has their own markings. The U.S. Army has a comprehensive system of unit identification markings on most of it's vehicles. The unit markings are often located at the front and back of the vehicle in painted on yellow boxes. Looking much like a sort of stenciled on license plate, one yellow box identifies the vehicle's unit, while the other yellow box will contain the vehicle's serial number.

The Air Force can sometimes have similar markings to the Army on it's vehicles, but many of the other branches of service will simply have the serial numbers stenciled on all sides of the truck. Basically no particular truck in any branch of service was ever permanently assigned to any particular use, and for those in the Army, It's not uncommon to strip off a layer from the yellow boxes and find completely different unit markings.

Ed

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.