Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi im putting this here cause i want to get feed back form people who have this trucks.

Im going to look at a 2wd 1991 250 with a cummins in it and just under 200,000. It has a new tranny (auto) and radiator. I want to know what are some things I should look for? What problem areas will a non diesel guy miss?

Also does $3800 seem like a fair price? Thats just around blue book.

If this is in the wrong spot im sorry.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Sounds not too bad to me but I don't know what the used truck market is like in your area. How bad are your winters? My 92 was bad around the lower fenders and rockers for rust.
New (or rebiult) tranny is good, and 200,000 isn't too bad if the truck was well maintained. The key to the diesels...or any engines is the oil changes.
Does he have any records of service? See if there is any mention of the valves being set. Should have been done a few times. If he has had the valves set, chances are good that he was on top of everything else.

·
Founder
25,731 Posts
how is new is the tranny? Basically all rust sport/body problems that are common with gas trucks are the same with the same year diesel. Just look for basic stuff, like leaks, etc. If the tranny doesn't slip and there is good power and the body isn't bad that is a good price.

·
3,752 Posts
If it is a `91 does it have od and and intercooler? `91 was the transition year.

·
Registered
5,731 Posts
Sounds like a fair price to me. Also, make a good conversion parts truck. If it has no leaks I would switch all the fluids to synthetic. Myself I used all Amsoil products. Good Luck!

Olly

Olly

·
Registered
49 Posts
Flake said:
If it is a `91 does it have od and and intercooler? `91 was the transition year.
Yes, that will affect the value considerably. They are great trucks, but I figure they either have a rebuilt trans or they need one. So you might be okay for a while. The auto guys find the torque converter the biggest source of problems if you are going to tow with it. If you don't tow much it might be fine. The TPS can make the OD trans act up, too. If it's a '91.5 and it's clean, it sounds pretty good. The advice above is right on. Basically, the truck is about to start falling apart around the Cummins. Also, the D70 rear end is getting iffy at this point, so it might be due for some bearings if it hasn't had frequent gear oil changes...

·
Registered
49 Posts
peteypower said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I think ill go take a look at it tomorrow.
Oh and how can i tell if it is a 1991.5? And, what it TPS?
The '91.5 will have an intercooler, an extra radiator looking thing, and it'll say "intercooled" on the valve cover. Also it'll have a 4-spd overdrive (OD) transmission, as opposed to the good ol' 3-speed 727. And also a cross-flow radiator.

TPS is throttle position sensor.

One thing about the pre-intercooled trucks is they have a smaller stock turbo housing, so they can feel quicker in stock form. But if you want to do power-enhancing mods, the intercooled will supposedly give you more power. Also, the injectors are a little bigger on the pre-intercooled, but the heads can crack around the injectors. 3-speed auto means a lower top end, too...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts