Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a Plymouth actually. Stopped a dealer on the way to Walmart and looked at a Trailduster that has been in the lot all winter. It isn't any newer than a 78 (it has a big block in it, probably a 440) a small snow plow on it, maybe 6' wide, and needs some work. The drivers door glass is missing, the mirror head on the drivers side needs replaced, the passenger side mirror is totally gone, rear bumper is a 4x4 piece of wood. Other than that it looked ok, not great, just ok. Only problem is, its on consignment. The owner wants $1900 for a $1200, max, vehicle. Even the dealer said he wnats too much. He said it runs ok but needs a carb rebuild and a tune up and the tranny needs some adjusting, it doesn't shift right. Since the TQ has been replaced with an Edelbrock I am thinking the kickdown is out of adjustment. I didn't have time to drive it today but am going back on Monday to drive it, if the blade will lift, it wouldn't last time he said. Until then I declined to make an offer. He is going to call and see how low the owner will go though.

Chris

·
Registered
95 Posts
yep, I missed out on a 79 440 PowerWagon that was going for 1500.00 and it was in really good condition.  I'll know better next time, if there is a next time, that is  :-\

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Or if you're dead set on a big block pop top, you could go track down an 80, pull out the small block, and take every painstaking step of putting in a big block, spending way much more than you would have if you just waited and bought a pre-80 :)

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not giving him $1900 for this thing, it isn't worth it to me. I don't care about the big block either. It could have a 318 in it and that would be fine as far as I am concerned. The 440 and it being a TD are just a nice bonus. I kinda want it because it is a pop top, although I will probably never take the top off. I actually want a truck, a 72-80 is my first choice with 81-93 next, 360, auto, W250.

Another problem I forgot to mention is the back hatch does not latch, didn't look at why. Also, the hood cable is needing some work.

Chris

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
If it's not rotted away Chris $1200-$1500 isn't a bad price at all. The plow alone is worth $500-$800 if it works.

Wait and see how it runs and drives then offer him something. BUT don't undercut him TOO much.  ;D

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
mopar65pa said:
If it's not rotted away Chris $1200-$1500 isn't a bad price at all. The plow alone is worth $500-$800 if it works.

Wait and see how it runs and drives then offer him something. BUT don't undercut him TOO much. ;D
Thats the plan. I don't care if he wants to keep the plow, don't need it, don't want it. It is, at most, a 6 footer. Might be a little less. It is as wide as a 70's RC/TD, no more. It isn't rotted away, only body parts missing are the bumpers and the one mirror assembly. If it had good mirrors and the window was there I would probably give him $1700 for it since it is a 440.

Chris

·
Registered
52,720 Posts
wycowboy said:
Thats the plan. I don't care if he wants to keep the plow, don't need it, don't want it. It is, at most, a 6 footer. Might be a little less. It is as wide as a 70's RC/TD, no more. It isn't rotted away, only body parts missing are the bumpers and the one mirror assembly. If it had good mirrors and the window was there I would probably give him $1700 for it since it is a 440.

Chris
{cool}

·
Premium Member
1,848 Posts
Good salesmen on RCC.  Chris started at 1200. and is up to 1700. already.

·
7,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am still going to be looking but I won't be getting this one. The owner is not willing to budge on the price. I find that strange since it has sat in the same spot on this lot all winter and half of last summer but so be it. I am not going to pay $1900 for it and he is not going to take less. Mexican standoff.

Decent Dodge trucks made before 1994 are hard to find in this area. The ones you do see aren't for sale. Might have to take a trip to get one it looks like.

Chris

·
Registered
34 Posts
I wouldn't buy anything with a plow on it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Check the billings craigslist. I bet there will probably be some good deals. And if you find a non running truck for a steal david can tow it for the price of fuel. and possibly lunch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.