Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally bought a Lincoln mig welder, standard with the self fluxing .030 wire. Tired of paying my $$ to other guys for this repair capability.

What is the recommended wire feed speed and amperage setting for welding in a stock replacement floor pan? I'd appreciate any information from anybody who has done this to help cut down on the learning curve.

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
60 Posts
wich welder did ya pick up... the 135?.... the set up guide is pretty right on .... i just used 16 gauge sheet metal and cut it a lil over sized with a grinder and a cut off wheel ...you could stitch weld it .... small welds like one inch long... i used bedliner on the under side to bond the two pieces and spot welded in place about every 6 inches.... while the welds are still red hott hit them with a hammer a cpl time to help flatten them .....

wht ever you do just go slow take your time and THINK ABOUT 30 YEARS OF GREASE AND FIRE !!!!

i caught the grees frn thet case are on fire a coupples time in the process.... just keep an eye on it and alway have a extingusher hanndy just in case .... good luck

·
Registered
235 Posts
Find some scrap pieces and practice first. The better the welds look the less grinding you will have to do. As far as setup, start in the middle ranges and adjust from there. When you hit the best settings, the welding should sound like bacon frying.

Practice practice practice,
Mark K

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
ya practice alot and find somebody who welds to teach aya a few tricks of the trade if possible .

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the great feedback. It's the Lincoln Weld Pak 100. Will handle up to 1/4" steel. Pretty adequate for what most of us will normally weld on the body, floor, frame, etc...

Got it on sale with a free cart, to my front door in 2 days for $369.00. Figured I couldn't beat it. I've used a Lincoln buzz box, (Stick welder), all my life and always had good luck with it. Mig Welding is something I know I'm capable of, just looking for some experienced insight, cheating and short cuts, LMAO !!

Thanks guys.

Dave ;D

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My Lincoln Weld-Pak 3200 HD will use 0.035" flux-cored and it recommends "B-2" for heat and speed settings. With regular 0.030" MIG wire and straight CO2, it would be "D-3".
If yer a book lernin type of guy, then buy, or borrow from the library, books on welding. Definitely have an experienced buddy on hand for feedback though.

Happy welding,

Mike

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
I got a little Clark mig (130 I think) that uses that flux core or you can use gas. I picked up the regulator, hose and tank a while ago but havent used it yet. Gonna do my outside panel and a little floor work. I am thinking about welding in a lockable steel box into the floor area beside the front roll bar mount behind the drivers seat. Got a hole there and I think a steel box with a lid could be pretty useful there for those days where you want to leave your wallet and house keys in the truck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts