Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post, but I use this site regularly as a resource for my 88 RC SE, 360 Auto, 4wd.

I am replacing my timing chain and pulling the heads to repair a gasket and am considering doing the camshaft as well.  I am leaning towards the Melling MTD-1 RV cam as I could use some additional low end torque and throttle response.

I was just wondering if anyone else has used this particular camshaft in the 360 and what their perspective is on it.  Would be interested in your thoughts or other recommendations.

The truck has headers, dual exhaust and factory 4bbl carb which I recently rebuilt.  I appreciate you thoughts and/or recommendations.

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
31,877 Posts
l looked on Jegs and Summit and they dont make that cam for the Dodge 360 and its probably because of the roller lifters and the fact it would cost over $400 bucks , l,ll post some cams below that will work

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the quick responses.  I found this cam at the Melling web site after going through their parts lookup tool.  I have not called them to verify, but will do so tomorrow.    I tried to provide the link, but it only displays melling.com.  I do appreciate the responses and will update after I speak with Melling tomorrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info.  From the Melling web site, when searching using the "engine" lookup option, this is what they had posted:

MTD-1. Engine Camshaft.  5.9L, V8, 360CID, Ramcharger, 1980-1981, 1984-1988.  Class1, Excellent Low End Torque and Horsepower, VS-1120 valve springs.

I tried to attach the photos of the information as well.

Thanks again or the assistance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,795 Posts
I would call Hughes Engines and talk to them.  I would not want to give up a roller cam for a solid tappet cam, especially with today's oils and the ease that flat tappet cams seem to wipe lobes.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I used it in my 87 360 with flat lifters.  Idle is smooth and the vehicle has plenty of low end torque for the snow plowing it’s doing.  Broke cam in with Lucas 20/50 break in oil and now after a few oil changes am using schaeffers 5w40.

·
Registered
8,322 Posts
Elwenil said:
I would call Hughes Engines and talk to them. I would not want to give up a roller cam for a solid tappet cam, especially with today's oils and the ease that flat tappet cams seem to wipe lobes.
Yes to that!
Roller cams are THE way to go these days.

·
Registered
528 Posts
FWIW Crane does do roller cams. Swapped out a failing cam a year or two back on my TBI with a Crane that's just a tiny bit hotter than stock but still works with the SBEC. They had a few other roller options as well.

That said, they ain't cheap, mine was around $400 I believe, before a set of rollers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.