Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know, I know,..... it's a Jeep.

Let me say, with the recent purchase of this 99 Jeep GC, and posting to other more specific Jeep sites with literally zero responses, I've come to appreciate RCC even more.
With that said, I'm having a prob with this Dodge cousin. LOTS of problems, but #1 is the pinion bearings are going on the Dana-30 front. I've pulled the diff cover to confirm my diagnosis, just need to know some tricks to actually fix it. Like, if I don't have a torque wrench capable of that much ft lbs, how do I know the crush sleeve is right? Do I absolutly need an in. lb wrench for the turn-over-torque reading? If I reuse the carrier bearings and related shims, this will keep me from having to reset the backlash, right?
Anyone got a good source for explosives if one more thing goes wrong with this damn Jeep!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Go and reant the right torque wernch it's crucial to thave torque setting right or the pinion will just spit itself back out again . No u have to re do back lash even though u are using the same set up . I know it sounds stupid but truast me they never go back together like they come apart and usually need to be re shimmed . U can try it and your way but back lash has to be re set .

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Only if the pinion (&bearings & sleeve) was good, could you get away with reusing the original shims on the carrier. Since it sounds like you need to do the pinion bearings and crush sleeve, the pinion will end up "in a different place", and the original shims may or may not produce a good pattern on the set up.

And, yeah, borrow or rent the torque wrench. It's comparatively cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I am treating this just I would a new R&P set going in. Great. Thanks for the replies guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.