Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's in gonna take? Who's done it?  8)
- flywheel? balance?
- starter?
- clutch?

My two engines are a '75 318, and a '90 360. Any advantage to putting it on a magnum instead?

The extra trans I have is a 6 speed from a Jeep (Mercedes NS370). This is the bellhousing pattern:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
u2slow said:
Any advantage to putting it on a magnum instead?
Just a massive power difference if you can get it to mate.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
starter on the other side ? is there room for the front driveshaft and differential , and the starter ?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Starter is on the same side as my LA engines. The Jeeps use a nv231/241/242 tcase and a driveshaft clears on the driver side. Looks like even more room on the passenger side since there's no clutch fork over there.

I suspect the recipe is the same for a NV3500 from a 4.7L in a Ram or Dakota. If that jogs anybody's databank?

ToxicDoc said:
Just a massive power difference if you can get it to mate.
Roger ;D I was more thinking along the lines of a direct-fit flywheel vs custom machining/balancing something.

·
Super Moderator
14,324 Posts
u2slow said:
Starter is on the same side as my LA engines. The Jeeps use a nv231/241/242 tcase and a driveshaft clears on the driver side. Looks like even more room on the passenger side since there's no clutch fork over there.

I suspect the recipe is the same for a NV3500 from a 4.7L in a Ram or Dakota. If that jogs anybody's databank?

Roger ;D I was more thinking along the lines of a direct-fit flywheel vs custom machining/balancing something.
Gotcha. The Magnum and LA are essentially the same block. Intake/heads are different, but generally they can bolt one in place of the other.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed , the mag and L/A are the same , just a new casting mold . the 360 mags use 1 amount of external balance  weight , the 360 L/A is a little different amount . before 1996 the weight was on the converter , 1996 the converter is neutral ( balanced) and the weight is on the flex plate either is fine , but you must use the right plate with the corresponding converter .  after posting , I realized yeah , starter on driver side of the bell in photo ...

sorry I have zip knowledge of the 3.7 4.7 5.7 motors , just 3.9 5.2 5.9 , those the  flywheels bolt up but differ in balance and crank sensor pick up . 

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
the 3.7 and 4.7 is different than the 5.7 which has the same bell as the 5.2 an 5.9
Do you have more details?

I've been searching other forums and the answers range from one bolt hole being off, to 4.7/5.7 direct swap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.