Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
You can't.  The ignition and doors are one key, the glovebox and console (if equipped) are another key and the liftgate is a third key.  All three are different type locks with different key blanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Elwenil said:
You can't. The ignition and doors are one key, the glovebox and console (if equipped) are another key and the liftgate is a third key. All three are different type locks with different key blanks.
Thanks how can i match my ignition to my pass doors since i need a new ignition

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
You can either buy them all as a set and swap them out, or you can have a locksmith re-code the old ones to use the same keys.

·
Super Moderator
29,799 Posts
The parts stores used to offer them that way, but it's been a long time since I have looked for them.  LMC Truck and Rockauto do not seem to offer them as a set for our trucks.

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
I got some sets for my 70's trucks off ebay, under $30 for the 2 door, and ign locks. Might look there, to see if they will fit the 80's trucks.  If you have tilt steering, that may be an issue.

If you go the lock smith route, have them match the ign lock to the door keys. That way it is one charge.

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
If you buy new locks or have the old ones recoded, you will need to remove the door locks regardless. Removing the ignition lock is added work. So personally, I would take the door locks to a locksmith and have him recode it to the ignition key and you don't need to mess with the ignition lock.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ToxicDoc said:
If you buy new locks or have the old ones recoded, you will need to remove the door locks regardless. Removing the ignition lock is added work. So personally, I would take the door locks to a locksmith and have him recode it to the ignition key and you don't need to mess with the ignition lock.
You do have a point

·
Super Moderator
2,162 Posts
fwiw - rekeying the lock isn't that tricky, at least door locks. Kinda want to say the ignition lock is the same sort of cylinder but don't recall popping one apart. Pry the silver cap off, the springs and pins come out. Pop something off the back and the cylinder comes out of the housing. The tricky bit is arranging the pins in the cylinder to match the key. A couple stray boneyard locks found in the bottom of your pocket are good pin donors. It's been a while but I fixed a couple of worn out locks by sitting at the bench for 30 minutes. In the case of a different key blank for trunk vs door, ya could probably swap the cylinders but haven't tried that one.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.