Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the RC:

I'm leaking brake fluid from between the Master Cylinder and the Brake Booster, i could see this happening on an old master cyl, but this one is only about a year or two old.

is it time for another new master cylinder?

Jake

·
7,995 Posts
I had this happen on a 72 Pontiac almost every 2 years after I installed a rebuilt MC on it. Must be the Chinese rubber. Do you have a warranty on the old MC? Might want to consider a brand new one from Autozone or NAPA? I dont know what the answer is on these rebuilt parts...they all seem to suck! Napa has 2 different lines of new ones(somewhat cheap($44) and expensive($84)) and Autozone has a new Fenco for around $37

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
yes you need a new Master cylinder. Richard Ehrenberg of Mopar Acton magazine said master cylinders aren't really rebuilable and it cost too much to really do them right. Thats why they dont' last very long. He also said the aluminum 2 bolt masters would cost about 600 to rebuild correctly because the bores would need to be anodized

·
Registered
397 Posts
lfetime warranty at the zone for mine is $25. those damn chineese parts

·
7,995 Posts
I've read the same thing about having to anodize the aluminum MC's.:)

Autozone with LLT(Limited Lifetime Warranty)

FENCO_REMAN MASTER CYLINDER (BRAKE SYSTEM) for a 1984 DODGE TRUCK RAMCHARGER 4WD

Unit Price: $16.99
Core Value*: $10.00
Part No.: M1860
Weight: 3.85 lbs.
Warranty: LLT
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Normally Stocked

FENCO_NEW MASTER CYLINDER (BRAKE SYSTEM) for a 1984 DODGE TRUCK RAMCHARGER 4WD

Unit Price: $36.99
Core Value*: $0.00
Part No.: NM1860
Weight: 4.3 lbs.
Warranty: LLT
Availability: Online: Ships within 2 business days
Store: Normally Stocked

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, the Booster went out today... sounded like someone turned on the vacuum cleaner at my feet and suddenly: i didn't have a brake pedal anymore, i had a rock. now, i had been goosing the brake pedal trying to get the fluid to squirt so i could see if i could ID the problem. well, the fluid inside the cylinder was, well, squirting around inside the cylinder where the front cap is... does this mean anything?

Jake

G

·
Jake, before you do anything else. replace the check valve in the booster. From your description, I would say that's a likely culprit.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
dont worry about the rebuild kit, when my master cylinder went out on my rc it was about $15 more for the kit than to get the whole master cylinder.

also getting the whole cylinder means you have a warranty on it

eric

ps:
i know this sounds stupid, but when you install the new cylinder remember to bench bleed it before installing it

G

·
DDGRC84 said:
PG, how would the check valve create a suction inside the cab?

Jake
Your description of the pedal feeling like a rock tells me there is probably air getting in to the booster. If so, then stepping on the pedal compresses that air and it has to go somewhere, like out the seals. The check valve is designed to let air out of the booster but not allow air in. And since it's the cheapest and most often first thing to go wrong with the power system, I'd check it first.

·
Premium Member
4,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
nah, it was the diaphragm in the booster, it was sucking air into the booster through the pedal-shaft thing without me touching the pedal.

Jake

Eric, I bench bled it, and bled the entire system after in installed the new one.

Jake

Jake

1 - 14 of 14 Posts