Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy, first post on the board ... is it still fabrication if it's plastic and not steel? just seamed like creating things from scratch this was probably the place. and it's usually steel for me, but this was an entertaining morning project.

Just picked up a '93 W250 and the phone holding situation is pretty bad. i started digging into what i could build without drilling holes and found the bulb-less map light. seems like a great place to integrate a mount location, and it would be great to have a light there. so i pulled the light body, threw it in 3D, and printed off this little guy.

1" ball mount based on RAM mount dimensions
pocket for LED flush mount light
pocket for toggle switch

cross your fingers the wiring to it is still good 馃槀 i ordered the phone mount/case, LED, and switch this morning ... will update as it comes together.

Registered
Welcome!
My son does 3D print as well for old fords. Can't wait to see what you come up with for this!

Registered
Automotive parking light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Mode of transport Font

DodgeRam.info > TSB's > 1985-1993 Ram > 08-04-91 Rev. A
TSB 08-04-91 Rev. A
Map Lamp Tab Breakage
Site
Sponsor:
Date: Nov. 4, 1991
Models: 1990-1992 (AD) RAM PICKUP/RAMCHARGER (ALL)
Symptom/Condition:
Broken map lamp mounting tabs for the under dash mounted map lamp.
Parts Required:
1 I Lamp Mounting Bracket Repair Package 4439009
Repair Procedure:
This procedure involves the installation of a map lamp retaining bracket.
1. Remove the instrument panel bezel in accordance with the service manual procedure.
2. Position the repair bracket, PN 4439009, over the broken lamp mounting tabs on the instrument panel bezel. The repair bracket should be positioned so that it will be retained by the instrument panel bezel retaining screws (Figure 1).

3. Carefully install the instrument panel bezel, making sure that the replacement bracket does not come out of position.
4. Secure the bezel and bracket with the bezel mounting screws.
5. Secure the map lamp to the retaining bracket.
Notes:
POLICY: Reimbursable within the provisions of the warranty.
TIME ALLOWANCE
Labor Operation No. 23-11-16-91 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.4 Hrs.
FAILURE CODE: 11 - Broken or Cracked
Edit

Registered
HA! one of mine is definitely not attached ... I did a quick search and didn't find anything where do you get the bracket from these days?

that "bracket" went NS1 over 20 years ago [ NS1 means = No Stock at Chrysler/ their number ONE - which means nothing -noda nowhere nohow you aint getting it ]

Registered
well that's just mean getting my hopes up :LOL:

dont get me wrong you can still get it just NOT brand new , there are 100's of 1000's of trucks with that bracket installed 1981 to 1993 so chances are you can find one pretty easy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i have to pull the dash bits to replace the heater core here ASAP ... 19deg this morning was cold driving to work :LOL: ... i'll take some measurements and just make something a little more solid.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
turns out i have what looks like the updated bracket, and the screw was just loose. all tight and solid mounting now!

finally got all the parts and had to reprint to tune the fit this morning. hopefully this afternoon i can get it all wired and installed ... pics coming.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got it up and working! love the light, but need to change some things around. also adding some extra detail.

i posted this in a FB 1st gen group and have been slammed with ppl wanted to buy one. i'm going to try and get the 3D printer files out there once updated for ppl to make their own.

Registered
Hey man that came out great! I'd recommend SLS - ing them if you plan to go to full production. I got a guy who has the best pricing around, be glad to pass the contact info along if you PM me and decide to do that.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
naw, i'm going to just share the print files with the community. i know there are ppl who don't have a printer, or know someone with a printer, and lazy ppl who just want to buy a kit though ... so if there was someone who wanted to build the kits to sell to those ppl, i just hope they'd split the profits with me.

Registered
I got on Fusion360 awhile back and started on a drip shield for the bulkhead connector. That should have been standard equipment on all trucks and RC's. But, I never had time to keep going on it so it sits in my library still in primitive form. THAT would be a useful part...

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i'm sure there are 100 different things we could come up with! i used to work for DeWALT in cordless new product development, i very much miss the customer interaction and design process.

Registered
i'm sure there are 100 different things we could come up with! i used to work for DeWALT in cordless new product development, i very much miss the customer interaction and design process.
Dream job right there! (insert man grunt)

Registered
it was! the current generation premium drill is kind of my baby

but they are in MD, and Baltimore sux. wife found her dream job back home in Pittsburgh, so i changed things up.
Every drill I have is DeWalt, my portable tablesaw, 12" chop saw, 12" chain saw, lawn mower, radial arm saw, and I'm sure other things I can't think of right now.

Registered
naw, i'm going to just share the print files with the community. i know there are ppl who don't have a printer, or know someone with a printer, and lazy ppl who just want to buy a kit though ... so if there was someone who wanted to build the kits to sell to those ppl, i just hope they'd split the profits with me.
just thought id offer. Im launching a reproduction parts business for plastic parts for our trucks. I do not know if you have seen the post and my work on there. I have a professional background in additive. Thought Id share stuff with you if your interested.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts