Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i seen a manual hub kit advertized years ago and was wondering if anyone knew anything about them, i wanna convert my 02 cummins to manual so i am not wearing out front ends in 2 wheel drive anymore.

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
http://www.dynatrac.com/
bottom of the list under the Parts & Components

don't know anyone who has used this kit though so I can't say anything else about it

I wonder what their vaccum motor lock-in retainer is about. If it is better than just moving the e-clips.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
i installed this kit for one of the members on here a year or so back, it was single wheel and was very good quality, the shafts got changed as well as spider gears as they are all upgraded parts and remove the cad from the equation. im not sure if the 02 kit is available as at the time dynatrac had mentioned they may not continue to carry the parts as interest in the kit was low, pricing makes it low as the kit was around 2800bucks.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Unfortunately you won't be able to make this conversion at this time.
Since the redesign of the Ram trucks in 01, Dodge switched axle assemblies from Dana to American Axle Manufacturing (AAM) You do not have a Dana 60 front axle in your truck. Your newer Ram is now equipped with an AAM axle. The AAM axle you have is an all new design which is loosely based on the old GM 14 Bolt rear axle. These axles are not interchangable and share nothing in common with Dana axles and as of yet, there isn't a huge aftermarket base for the AAM axles as there is with the Dana axles.

You are stuck with what you have, unless you swap out the entire axle assy.

Ed

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
I didn't think the AAM axles showed up under the heavy dutys until the 2003 redesign.
Plus, the AAM are live all the time anyways, no CAD or hubs or anything of the sort. Now power from the t-case in 2wd, but the axles are still spinning from the wheels.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
there is no CAD on mine so it could be an AAM i just assumed it was a 60, i'll have to look closer at it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
On the 2001 models, Dodge converted to rear disc brakes mid year. At that time they did away with the CAD.
They were still Dana axles until the 2003 model year. Then they went with AAM.
I got a Dana 80 out of a 2002 to convert my truck to rear disc brakes. Was a Dana, as I had to swap the gears from 3:54 to 4:10.

Brad

Truck Pics & Specs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts