Dodge RamCharger Central banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Administrator
62,354 Posts
I guess the electric cars are significantly heavier causing more tire wear causing rubber pollution... what the heck. Can't win
The few I have looked up, is not a lot of difference. They save a lot by not having the engine, trans & gas tank. The difference between a gas Pacifica, and the hybrid version is about 500 lbs. They save a good bit by having a simple trans with the two electric motors built in.

Cars have so much safety stuff that weighs a lot. Plus just look how big our cars and trucks are now days. Heck, a half ton truck can do more then a lot of older 1 tons. No body makes a small or mid size pickup any more.

·
Administrator
62,354 Posts
Our city has recyclable cans and regular trash cans. The same trash truck picks them both up lol makes you wonder why have 2 cans.
Here you have to pay extra to have the recyclable stuff picked up. A few years back, they got caught just taking it to the landfill, because it cost too much to ship it out of here.

When I was in Boyscouts, we made enough by our quarterly almunium can, and newspaper drives to pay for our annual two week canoeing trip to the Adirondack mtns in upstate New York. Now nobody will even take newsprint, magazines, or much other paper stuff.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,625 Posts
Lol, same here. In scouts we did bottle and newspaper drives to fund our camping and field trips also. Camp Bernard was the name of ours and it was next to a small lake deep in them pine trees. Loved it.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I never understood why combustible trash/leaves was never used as fuel for a power plant, or at least disposed of during the process instead of taken to landfills.

Bucky

·
Administrator
62,354 Posts
I never understood why combustible trash/leaves was never used as fuel for a power plant, or at least disposed of during the process instead of taken to landfills.

Bucky
Some places do. The biggest issue is separating the non burnable stuff out first. This is where I used to live in Pa.

·
Administrator
62,354 Posts
Lol, same here. In scouts we did bottle and newspaper drives to fund our camping and field trips also. Camp Bernard was the name of ours and it was next to a small lake deep in them pine trees. Loved it.
We just did a trip with our troop. We would put in at one spot, and canoe/camp/ what ever for two weeks. Some days were long, while other days we did short runs, and had time for other stuff. As a kid, I did not realize all the work & planning that went into those trips.

·
Administrator
62,354 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
I hope we can come up with some reasonable solutions to some of these problems we face. Some things coming out I think will be a good alternative. One thing is for sure, no matter which side you're on... life is getting more expensive and my check isn't growing lol. I gotta keep my old junk running.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,625 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,625 Posts
I hope we can come up with some reasonable solutions to some of these problems we face. Some things coming out I think will be a good alternative. One thing is for sure, no matter which side you're on... life is getting more expensive and my check isn't growing lol. I gotta keep my old junk running.
The solution is to get back to the Judeo Christian rule of law and way of life.

Reactions: Mojack

·
Administrator
62,354 Posts
Nobody wants the steel / aluminum mills, casting & forging plants near them. Not in my back yard.

Many third world countries recycle much more then we do. A lot of it is labor intensive, and below what Americans want to do.

When was the last time anyone seen a recycled tire door mat for sale? I'm thinking late 70's, at an Ace hardware.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Living in NJ all my life , I can tell you this is a totally BS article ,
1) DEP does not regulate vehicle emissions in this state
2)DMV only checks tail pipe emissions
3) Emissions equipment ,DEF filters ,were not required in NJ until model year 2012 on Ram trucks
4) Only seized vehicles for racing can be destroyed , if vehicle fails emission you have 60 days to fix or surrender plates, not allowed to use on public roads .

there are far worse examples all around this state and never heard anyone with this happened too,
Some one scammed this guy and he fell for it , if its true ,
which I doubt it is.

·
Super Moderator
29,829 Posts
All these global issues with the world's environment kinda needs every country, at least the populated ones, to be on the same page. When you have some countries belching out smoke, dumping hazardous waste into rivers, throwing scrap military equipment into the sea, mining the piss out of the ground for whatever elements are deemed necessary for the latest gadgets & people who reproduce at a rate similar to insects it negates whatever good is accomplished by countries who play by the rules.
So you are asserting that more pollution isn't worse than less pollution? I mean, yeah, everyone should be onboard, and most of the major polluters in the world are, but still, everybody doing nothing certainly makes things worse, not better, right?

Most pollutants affect localized areas anyway. Earlier I gave the example of the Salt Lake Valley, yeah, it doesn't matter one bit what is going on in Zimbabwe, those pollutants emitted in the SL Valley, are squarely, 100% affecting the people in the SL Valley. So, it kind of behooves us to lower our own emissions, regardless of whether or not Liberia is onboard.....right?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
3) Emissions equipment ,DEF filters ,were not required in NJ until model year 2012 on Ram trucks
4) Only seized vehicles for racing can be destroyed , if vehicle fails emission you have 60 days to fix or surrender plates, not allowed to use on public roads .

there are far worse examples all around this state and never heard anyone with this happened too,
which I doubt it is.
Looks real to me.

Diesel Ram Owner Crushes Truck After State Orders Deleted Emissions Fix (thedrive.com)

·
Super Moderator
29,829 Posts

which I doubt it is.
For #3, DEF in and of itself isn't "required" per se, it is just the best method to achieve the emission requirements. These actual limits went into affect in 2010 if I remember correctly, Cummins and Ram had a non-SCR/DEF system they were touting and were ready to implement in 2007.5 almost 3 years before it was needed, while Chevy and Ford (and OTR trucks) were using DEF right around 2010. Turns out, DEF is a much better method, so Cummins/Ram switched to DEF in the 2013 MY. They were already using DEF in their C&C trucks a few years prior.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I admire the true believers. I really do. It must be awesome to have that kind of confidence in government.

But If I believed for one bleeding minute that those who claimed to have the solutions to the problem of pollution actually;

A: did indeed have those solutions
B: Intended to implement them
C: knew how to implement them
D: were able to do any of the above without exorbitant taxes and crushing freedom in the process….

Then I’d be onboard. But that’s not what they intend and their track record speaks for itself.

·
Super Moderator
29,829 Posts
You know scientists are not, by default "the gubment", right?

I mean, you could go to college right now, learn chemistry, biology etc etc, you will learn and understand and come to the conclusion, all on your own, that pollution is bad.

You do understand polluted water is bad, right? Polluted food? So, why is it too much of a jump to accept that polluted air is bad too?

Blows my mind.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
The EPA is the government. They might employ scientists but they are government workers first and foremost.

Your state emissions inspectors are government.

These peoples jobs are to protect their jobs, expand government, take money out of your pocket.

You are a smart guy, you were t born yesterday. Do you not recognize patterns? It’s never about their purported purposes.

The EPA protects the environment in the same way the Patriot Act protects patriots.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
You do understand polluted water is bad, right? Polluted food? So, why is it too much of a jump to accept that polluted air is bad too?

Blows my mind.
Agreed, all the pollution is bad. Society has grown to a level where we (royal we) are unable to just turn it off. Instead, we beat around the bush with economic games and gimmicks instead of addressing the ever-quickening disposability cycle.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts