Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A New Jersey man listed his modified 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 on Facebook Marketplace. Shortly after the listing, he received a letter from the state government to restore the exhaust to factory stock or face fines (or worse, have the truck crushed), reported The Drive.
Over the summer, Mike Sebold listed the truck on Facebook Marketplace. He included information in the listing that the Ram 2500 had been "deleted," a common reference by diesel truck lovers who have their emission control devices removed to increase horsepower and torque. However, such a conversion leads to more environmentally unfriendly emissions and results in the truck not being suitable for roadways due to the state's strict emission rules.

Weeks after the listing went live, New Jersey's Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) notified Sebold that his truck was flagged and the exhaust would need to be restored to the factory setting to meet the state's emissions compliance. He said parts and labor to get the truck back to compliance would be more than $10,000.

Sebold said he de-registered the truck though it wasn't enough to satisfy the DEP, who gave him a Sept. 25 deadline to fix the truck or destroy it.

According to DEP, "Mr. Sebold has informed the Department that he intends to bring his truck to a scrap yard on Sept. 16 and have it destroyed, although the Department has explained to Mr. Sebold on multiple occasions that the Department would extend the 60-day deadline cited in compliance requirements to give him time to make the necessary repairs to the truck and return it to full New Jersey emissions compliance… Mr. Sebold has made the decision to scrap his truck, despite DEP offering him other options."
Sebold told The Drive that DEP never visited or inspected the truck in person. He believes DEP decided to flag the truck based on the Facebook Marketplace listing. An overreaching state government agency has weaponized a social media platform to combat tighter and tighter environmental restrictions on gas/diesel-powered vehicles.
Before the crushing, Sebold appears to have parted out the truck. He called DEP "scumbags."

Man Scraps Modified Diesel Truck After Gov't Determines It's Illegal Through Facebook Marketplace Listing | ZeroHedge

·
Administrator
62,341 Posts
What did he do with the parts he took off? likely sold them for a few grand. Surprised he could not ship it out of state and sell it. But maybe he could, this just makes a better story.

How they found out is irrelevant. They now know. Just shows people need to know the laws of their state, and the feds before they make these mods. Has not made the news much, but there is also many companies fined for making the mods.

·
Administrator
62,341 Posts
The biggest issue with diesels, is the people did the mods to roll coal. Might have been only 10% of the owners, but it effected all the owners. Crackdowns like this are the result. Te handwriting has been on the wall. They have gone after dealers, parts manufacturers, repair shops, and even individuals have been busted, and in the news for a few years now. Looks like NJ, and cali are at the tops of enforcement, so not likely he did not know.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The biggest issue with diesels, is the people did the mods to roll coal. Might have been only 10% of the owners, but it effected all the owners. Crackdowns like this are the result. Te handwriting has been on the wall. They have gone after dealers, parts manufacturers, repair shops, and even individuals have been busted, and in the news for a few years now. Looks like NJ, and cali are at the tops of enforcement, so not likely he did not know.
I disagree.

The biggest issue is stupid laws. Followed up closely by overbearing small-dicked bureaucrats who are getting back at the world they hate by busting better men than they. In third place we find some do-gooder member of the public and or computer algorithms that reported this guy.

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,605 Posts
Some people's mods were done BEFORE the new laws were in effect.

Reactions: jcm3

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
6,605 Posts
This is another perfect example of why NOBODY should be on Facebook. It was created to be a spy on the entire world and this is the evidence. I'm so glad that I stood strong and never once created a Facebook account, or any similar accounts. It's bad enough that I have a cellphone and Wi-Fi.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
Another lesson in being careful what you post online, especially Facebook.

Lol - @Canadian country boy you beat me to it!

·
Administrator
62,341 Posts
Some people's mods were done BEFORE the new laws were in effect.
Tampering with emissions equipment goes way back before this truck was built. Like back to the 70's. Just has not been enforced on individuals as much.

I disagree.

The biggest issue is stupid laws. Followed up closely by overbearing small-dicked bureaucrats who are getting back at the world they hate by busting better men than they. In third place we find some do-gooder member of the public and or computer algorithms that reported this guy.
I am no fan of emissions laws. But do agree that something needs to be done to these coal rollers. Its dangerous for nearby traffic, bad for cars that get the oily soot sprayed on, bad for the engine, wastes fuel, and just a plain bad public image.

·
Administrator
62,341 Posts
Yea, I guess not. :unsure:

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I am no fan of emissions laws. But do agree that something needs to be done to these coal rollers. Its dangerous for nearby traffic, bad for cars that get the oily soot sprayed on, bad for the engine, wastes fuel, and just a plain bad public image.
"Rolling coal" isn't much different than a big smokey burnout. Both are a case of operating the machinery incorrectly, but perhaps willfully. (Mechanical diesel context here.) Sometimes it can be accidental... As my gf once proved by not thinking to downshift from 4th as she followed lazy traffic up a hill... with a cop behind.

I'm not clear how rolling coal is done with electronic diesels unless some dubious programming enters the picture. Tailpipe emissions are still visibly decent with the typical deletes.

·
Super Moderator
6,605 Posts
I've never understood why the EPA won't let you change your exhaust system on a diesel truck (or for any other vehicle). They act like an exhaust system is a pollutant filter or something. The same amount of "emissions" still go through a stock exhaust system and escape into the atmosphere as it does with an aftermarket system. They act like the muffler is a particle filter - its not, it filters noise only. It's just more bureatic bullshit.

·
Super Moderator
29,808 Posts
"Rolling coal" isn't much different than a big smokey burnout. Both are a case of operating the machinery incorrectly, but perhaps willfully. (Mechanical diesel context here.)
But a burnout isn't happening 100% of the time that the vehicle is in use.

I'm not clear how rolling coal is done with electronic diesels unless some dubious programming enters the picture. Tailpipe emissions are still visibly decent with the typical deletes.
It is dubious programming. It is becoming a thing of the past however with the EPA cracking down on manufacturers.

·
Super Moderator
29,808 Posts
I've never understood why the EPA won't let you change your exhaust system on a diesel truck (or for any other vehicle). They act like an exhaust system is a pollutant filter or something. The same amount of "emissions" still go through a stock exhaust system and escape into the atmosphere as it does with an aftermarket system. They act like the muffler is a particle filter - its not, it filters noise only. It's just more bureatic bullshit.
Modern Diesel exhaust actually IS a "pollutant filter device", they are basically everything you just said they aren't.

There are two emission components in a modern Diesel exhaust.....The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) which literally captures particulate matter and.....the SCR, Selective Catalyst Reduction system, which where Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is injected into the exhaust stream prior to going into a catalyst where Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) are reduced to Nitrogen, water and CO2.

They do not have, nor need a "muffler" for noise reduction, the DPF and SCR reduce noise indirectly.

·
Administrator
62,341 Posts
"Rolling coal" isn't much different than a big smokey burnout. Both are a case of operating the machinery incorrectly, but perhaps willfully. (Mechanical diesel context here.) Sometimes it can be accidental... As my gf once proved by not thinking to downshift from 4th as she followed lazy traffic up a hill... with a cop behind.

the coal rollers are a lot different then just an old style poorly adjusted fuel pump. I have heard different things from fooling the computer, to having a injector dumping fuel into the turbo. They all involve removing the particle filter, which makes it a polluter all the time. We had an accident here a few yers back because a few fools smoked up an intersection, and a motorcycle got run over. it has gotten a lot worse then a big burnout, or a smokey exhaust.

·
Super Moderator
29,808 Posts
There was a photograph going around here a few years ago, some yahoos in a bro-dozer rolled coal on a road cyclist who was in competing in a race, that happened to have been being photographed at the time. Those shitheads got busted. I would love to have asked them what they would think if a smoker came by and continually blew smoke in their faces....if they would think that was cool, or funny.

·
Super Moderator
6,605 Posts
Modern Diesel exhaust actually IS a "pollutant filter device", they are basically everything you just said they aren't.

There are two emission components in a modern Diesel exhaust.....The Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) which literally captures particulate matter and.....the SCR, Selective Catalyst Reduction system, which where Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) is injected into the exhaust stream prior to going into a catalyst where Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) are reduced to Nitrogen, water and CO2.

They do not have, nor need a "muffler" for noise reduction, the DPF and SCR reduce noise indirectly.
I realize that there is a particle filter on diesel trucks but what if you leave it on and change everything else?

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
But a burnout isn't happening 100% of the time that the vehicle is in use.
Neither is the coal-rolling that I see... It's the governor-mechanics of putting on load at a low rpm. It clears when the rpm (and turbo) catch up, or the load comes off.

A computerized diesel with some deletes (EGR/DPF) most likely still runs cleaner than a mechanical diesel.

Maybe i've underestimated the idiocy going on...

1 - 20 of 120 Posts